News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Central PA Gobbling Report

Started by HFultzjr, March 11, 2016, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

My report from central PA 03/11/2016:

6:15am - Went out for a listen on back deck. Calm winds, nice morning. Crows going nuts just after daylight, spring peepers too. Not a turkey sound though. Even tried my new Crystal Mistress.....nothing. Went back inside to get ready for work about 7:30.

8:15am - Headed to work and less than 1/2 mile down the road from my place saw a gobbler in full strut, just off the side of the road. Backed up and it was a nice long beard strutting along with a couple of what looked to be jakes and about 6 hens. Put down the windows and didn't hear a sound from any of them. Only got a quick look as traffic was coming. He was really putting on a show for the ladies.

catclr

I was out Tues. 3/8/16, heard first bird at 6:05 am., and a total of 8 till 6:20 am., taking a walk in my hunting area.

Leaving saw one flock with around 20 birds, and counted 6 strutting. When pulled in driveway, saw another flock, with about same number and counted 6 strutters in that flock.

HFultzjr

Quote from: catclr on March 12, 2016, 02:23:46 PM
I was out Tues. 3/8/16, heard first bird at 6:05 am., and a total of 8 till 6:20 am., taking a walk in my hunting area.

Leaving saw one flock with around 20 birds, and counted 6 strutting. When pulled in driveway, saw another flock, with about same number and counted 6 strutters in that flock.

Nice......
Starts to get the fever going, doesn't it.
I've yet to hear a bird.
Lots of sightings (strutting, field feeding, etc.)

HFultzjr

03/13/2016

Holy crap I just had an exciting morning! All from my back deck.

6:40 (daylight savings time): Made a cup of coffee and went out back to listen to the morning wake up.
Very calm...one of those days where you could hear a mile away.

6:50 started a very light rain.....heard my 1st gobble out from my place to the right. Not a usual area for turkeys, as they are usually across the road.

7:00 several birds gobbling back and forth a bit about every 4-5 minutes. Crows calling, woodpeckers pecking.

7:20 heard a hen clucking behind my deck (80 acres of posted land). Unusual place as I seldom hear turkey back there. Only heard her for a few minutes.

7:25 all quiet.

7:30 Thinking it all over, I decided to play around with the cheapie HS strut slate call I purchased on sale for a couple bucks. I'll be danged, the ones I heard earlier started up again. Played with them for about 10 minutes, then all went quiet again.

7:50 had been calling softly since about 7:35 when I hear a gobble about 80-100 yards behind my deck. I quickly shut up so as not to be busted. Heard him 1 more time, but never saw him. I think that is the closest I have ever called one to my deck. This is a residential area with about 1-2 acre lots surrounded by posted land that nobody can hunt. These are my practice birds.

8:00 snuck back into the house so as not to get busted. Watched out the window, but never saw him.

Wow....all that excitement from the comfort of my PJs. It doesn't get much better than this, except to be able to shoot one. It will never happen here, as too residential.

Time to go get ready for church.

I'll be back..............

DirtNap647

where in central pa you guys located

HFultzjr

Devastator

Heard some yesterday here in bradford county.

DirtNap647

catclr

This morning listened to gobbling from driveway. Then on the way to breakfast in Juniata county, saw two flocks of birds, first one 20+ birds, and some strutters, second group about 8 birds and 2 strutters. All in fields with the rain and fog.

HFultzjr

Didn't get out this morning, but took a break about 11:30.
Went out on the back deck again and started a conversation with a hen behind the house.
I was really ticking her off, but she wouldn't come close enough to the houses to get a look.
Didn't hear any gobbles and sounded like a lone hen.

catclr

Watched 14 with 2 strutter's from my driveway, this evening, headed to roost.

HFultzjr

Had a listen this morning at daybreak.
Didn't hear a bird.
Well, just one crow.
Started to rain just after and went back in.
About 20 minutes total listening time.

catclr

Saw a flock of around 15 or so birds, about 3-4 gobblers, this morning at 8:30, headed to my wife's class breakfast.

HFultzjr

Heard several hens just before dark, way behind my house.
This morning heard several gobbles just after daylight, nothing past 7:20.
Again behind my house.
What's strange is I have yet to hear a bird across the road on the mountain. I have seen them there, but they are not vocal. I very seldom have activity behind my house, but this year it has come alive with turkeys. Must be something back there they like this year!

HFultzjr

03/19/2016 report.

Location: Back Deck. Cold this morning with a frost. Sun was starting to peek out, then got cloudy. No wind, could "hear a country mile". Stayed out from daybreak until about 8:00 am. Nothing except a few crows. Cold and quiet. Ran out of coffee and decided to go back in and get warm.