OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2015 Virginia Youth Day hunt  (Read 4006 times)

Offline wvboy

• Central VA .. But WV is Home
2015 Virginia Youth Day hunt
« on: March 11, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »
I've been watching vids on here getting ready for the upcoming season.. thought I would share one of mine from last years youth day in VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCst5dChltk

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: 2015 Virginia Youth Day hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:22:14 PM »
I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Gotta' ask, why did the other boy not shoot?  Had he never used a scope on a shotgun before?

I have found that with kids, sometimes they are capable of doing extremely complex tasks, and sometimes the most simple task becomes impossible.

Great video, and I felt your frustration, especially on that second bird (that never got shot). :OGturkeyhead:
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »
Nice. I was waiting to see #2 hit the dirt but totally understand when taking a youth all that can happen. Hope they both get one this year.

Offline wvboy

• Central VA .. But WV is Home
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
I was on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Gotta' ask, why did the other boy not shoot?  Had he never used a scope on a shotgun before?

I have found that with kids, sometimes they are capable of doing extremely complex tasks, and sometimes the most simple task becomes impossible.

Great video, and I felt your frustration, especially on that second bird (that never got shot). :OGturkeyhead:

My fault for not working with him enough before the season.. I had him shoot it a few times off a led sled, but didn't explain to him that he need not be as precise as target shooting or as rifle shooting.. he didn't quite understand there is bigger margin for error with a shotgun and as long as he is close to his head it will most likely get the job done.. he was trying to be exactly on his head and afraid he would miss.. and that is near impossible with a turkey.. I give kudos to all those bow hunters who can sever a head off it can't be easy.. it all worked out though.. he killed one about 3 weeks later..

I got it on Video too :)

https://youtu.be/qlKxMwXpXCA

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads