turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Magnum Blends 5x6x7 ?

Started by unclerick, March 31, 2011, 06:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclerick

I just got a box of these shells to use in my run-n-gun Mossberg, my question is to you guys that know about such things is, the only choke I have for it is a factory Remington Super Full, will it do for these loads and work good or should I use something else. This gun was a project/parts gun that I customized for home defense, I had the barrel cut and threaded to use Remington chokes, I do have a Tru-glo and Tight wad I can use in it if I can get them back. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

msgobblergetter

What length barrel?  You should be fine with Rem Super Full and magblends, but I bet the tight truglo would do even better if its the ssx model.

unclerick

The barrel is 19 1/2in with out the choke, shooting Remington loads from it patterns pretty good. So you think it will be OK, I'll get the other chokes from my brother.

GOLD HUNTER

just go and shoot the gun with that choke ans see what it looks like  :icon_thumright:

brian

hunttherut

No way to know for sure until you pattern it.

msgobblergetter

Quote from: CamoMan4025 on March 31, 2011, 08:39:29 PM
You should be alright, but watch out, they kick like two mules!
Camo is right... they don't play.  I'd opt for the 3" magblends

allaboutshooting

Quote from: unclerick on March 31, 2011, 06:26:33 PM
I just got a box of these shells to use in my run-n-gun Mossberg, my question is to you guys that know about such things is, the only choke I have for it is a factory Remington Super Full, will it do for these loads and work good or should I use something else. This gun was a project/parts gun that I customized for home defense, I had the barrel cut and threaded to use Remington chokes, I do have a Tru-glo and Tight wad I can use in it if I can get them back. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I believe the Remington Super Full is a flush mounted lead only choke, correct? If so, I'd try those other chokes with your gun. That SF choke is very good with #6 lead however.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

chcltlabz

The Remington Super Full is an extended non ported tube, and yes it is labelled for lead only.  My tube at least was made long before any high density shells though, so I think it was meant to keep folks from shooting large steel shot through it.

I wouldn't tell you to shoot anything other than lead through that tube, but my 870 in 3 inch with the same tube shot 184 hits at 40 yards with the Mag Blends and 40 degrees.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

There have been both Lead Only, and Hevi Shot Approved versions of the Remington Super Full Choke.  Both versions seem to be very strong, tough, non-ported chokes that will stand up to just about anything.  Probably a very safe bet with HTL.

unclerick

Well I went out today and shot both my turkey guns, in the 11-87 with the JH 665 and Heavy-13 was not impressive at all, I was expecting a tighter pattern at 40yrds but it actually was a little less then shooting the Winchester extreme extended range shells. The Mossberg patterned ok with the 5x6x7 magblends but was low and hurt like heck.

I'm curious how some of you guys get over 100 pellets in 10ins at 40yrds, I'm lucky if I get half that many.

knightrider

i get it done with polished barrel and pure gold choke, if you want the numbers you have to play the game all the way through

coyotetrpr

I am using the hevi 13 choke tube with good results
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

hookedspur

Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on March 31, 2011, 06:52:26 PM
just go and shoot the gun with that choke ans see what it looks like  :icon_thumright:

brian
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

Are you drawing your circle AFTER you shoot?  You just may not be getting the most dense core of your pattern.  The Xtended Range are great shells as well, if they do better, then use them.  What are your 40 yd numbers?

bowhunter84

Quote from: GOLD HUNTER on March 31, 2011, 06:52:26 PM

brian
:agreed: