OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what do you consider good pattern #

Started by chad fenton, March 06, 2016, 07:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad fenton

I shot a few loads through my 870 ,28" barrel at 40 yds.  Win HV 5&6, win super x 5, federal 2oz #6. & Kent 2 oz #6.  The Kent's did the best unexpectedly but had o ly 80 in a 10" circle.  The worst was the HV #5 @ 53 in a 10" circle. The choke I used was some home wad striper type choke used in local turkey shoots (pretty crappy choke though). It has noticeable dimension step downs, 3 or 4 of them.  I really think I could get better numbers with a better choke.  I am thinking of going with a full or mod choke and fed flight control wad.  But hear good things about longbeards.  Trying to keep ammo cost minimal, for what reason I don't know.  I am kinda on this minimalist kick thing going in to this year.

Although I will say looking at the patterns every one of them would have drop a turkey.  So with that being said not sure it really matters.

Philippe

By all means 80 in the 10 at 40 yards is huntable, I would keep it more to 20-30 yards max though. Now, the gun has a ton more potential if you deep clean and polish that barrel and try different choke and load combos. A Jellyhead .660 or .665 and Winchester Londbeard 5 or 6's will do you a premium.

DawgsFan1

My 870 with 20" barrel puts up some respectable numbers in my opinion. I get 240+ in 10" circle at 40 yards shooting a .662 Hevi-Shot Turkey choke and 3" #6 Longbeards. To add my gun patterned better from 20 to 40 with the Longbeards over Hevi-Shot Mag blend. That was great for me because box of 10 Longbeards cost less than a box of 5 Mag Blends.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

surehuntsalot

you don't have to put 250 holes in a piece of paper to kill a turkey
80- 100 pellets in the 10" circle will kill them just as dead
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Dr Juice

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 07, 2016, 10:36:49 PM
you don't have to put 250 holes in a piece of paper to kill a turkey
80- 100 pellets in the 10" circle will kill them just as dead
Yes sir, but more is better as long as it doesn't break the bank. :gobble:

Ihuntoldschool

Dead is dead.   There are no degrees of dead.  Surehuntsalot hit the nail on the head.   More is not necessarily better it just makes your effective killing pattern smaller thereby decreasing any margin for error or head/neck movement.    80 in ten is more than plenty.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 12, 2016, 01:03:46 PM
Dead is dead.   There are no degrees of dead.  Surehuntsalot hit the nail on the head.   More is not necessarily better it just makes your effective killing pattern smaller thereby decreasing any margin for error or head/neck movement.    80 in ten is more than plenty.

exactly
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dzsmith

ill take what I can get....but generally with the modern technology of shells and chokes, and the money we pay, I wont accept anything under 200 in a 10 at 40. I know that sounds stupid....but my gun has good spread and density at all reasonable ranges ...and still puts over 200 in 10 at 40...even with a 21" barrel. sure 80 will knock him dead....but when there are 20 dollar a box shells that can do what mine do through an average priced choke why would I accept anything less.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

albrubacker

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 14, 2016, 11:17:13 PM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on March 12, 2016, 01:03:46 PM
x3!

exactly
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

buck_hunter21

While I agree that you don't need any crazy amount of pellets in a 10 at 40, I would not use a set up that did not at least give me 100 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. My set up for 40 yards would be called over the top from some on here, but I if it was under 100 pellets at 40 yards I would limit my range to 30 yards. And with that said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a limit of 30 yards.
Spill Blood

Sealbilly

I'm probably gonna be the guy that everybody disagrees with but here we go.  While I will try and get as many pellets in a 10" circle at 40 as I can I will take a pattern that puts 150 in a 10 that was aimed for over a pattern that will put 180 in a 10 that is a foot higher than where I aimed.  If I were shooting at paper in a competitive arena then I'd go for as many as possable, but in a hunting pattern (at least for me) it's all about ballance.  Poi matching poa and a pattern that is even but still hot in the middle. 

That being said I'm sure you can milk a few more pellets out of your gun than what your getting. 

mikejd

I have only been turkey hunting 24 years now. But when I started they recommended that you be able to put 5-6 pellets in the vitals on a pattern target with the head picture. As long as you could do that you where within your affective range.

For many years that's what we did. I don't know of anyone loosing a bird going by that rule. Killed many birds with number 4 lead.