OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NEW Vest or Pack ideas  (Read 3839 times)

Offline kevin2

• The Boss Gobbler
NEW Vest or Pack ideas
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:26:04 AM »
I have a Super Elite III, and while it fits everything I need, it isn't the most comfortable on my shoulders.

I've considered several other vests, including the Cabelas Tatr II or III, the Knights, the Alps Outdoors Vest, and the Tenzing TZ14. Looked at using a pack too, but not sure how that would work if it is on my back while sitting? Actually considered a fly fishing chest pack too.

Just looking to spark some conversation. Any thoughts on vests OR packs.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
NEW Vest or Pack ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 07:44:40 AM »
I think it really depends on how much you are carrying. The super elite is about as broad on shoulder straps as they get. I think many of the other vests have a more narrow shoulder strap. The main complaint I have heard on the super elite 3 is from the southern boys who say they are too hot. So I would check and see if it is a weight issue or design issue. For the record I have the super elite 3 and love it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline spurman

• In Memorial
  • Double Beard
  • LM NRA. DAV, KYANG
Re: NEW Vest or Pack ideas
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »
I use a tatr, had it for 3 or 4 seasons now and I like it. If I was going to buy a new one I would probably get the tatr 2 without the kickstand. I carry way to much stuff and some times I pack for a all day hunt. I also carry a back pack, which really comes in handy for packing out a turkey.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline kevin2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 01:53:11 PM »
The shoulder is broad, but there isn't any padding. The edges of the material ends up digging into my shoulders and neck. My neck gets sore after just a short time. I am going to head to Cabelas and load up a Tatr II or III with all sorts of stuff and wear it around the store for a while and see how it performs! SOUNDS crazy, but it should let me know!

I think it really depends on how much you are carrying. The super elite is about as broad on shoulder straps as they get. I think many of the other vests have a more narrow shoulder strap. The main complaint I have heard on the super elite 3 is from the southern boys who say they are too hot. So I would check and see if it is a weight issue or design issue. For the record I have the super elite 3 and love it.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
NEW Vest or Pack ideas
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:20:08 PM »
I would try it by all means. That's why they make more than one style. I misinterpreted that one. It definitely won't hurt to shop around. Good luck in your endeavors.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Ericbrooks

NEW Vest or Pack ideas
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 10:30:31 PM »
I have a vest, I think it's a Primos. I don't wear it very much. I have fell in love with the Game Plan Gear Spot n Stalk sling pack.

Offline kevin2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:50:53 PM »
I just checked it out on youtube, pretty nice. I might have to give that a go.

I have a vest, I think it's a Primos. I don't wear it very much. I have fell in love with the Game Plan Gear Spot n Stalk sling pack.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
TATR III for me. Prefer it over the II and the other 6 vests I have had over the years.

Offline kevin2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »
Well, I went to Cabelas and tried on the various Tatr vests. The s/m size Tatr II fit best and was my choice, but the box call sleeve wasn't getting it for me. Wouldn't fit my long box & was a pain to get the box in and out of too. Might order the Knights Vest to check out next...

Offline scare

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
the tatrs are on sale at cabelas

Offline kevin2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »
Just walked in the door from Cabelas! NOT sure what way I'm going. I'll likely just stick with my Super Elite III at this point.
the tatrs are on sale at cabelas