OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Why aren't there more press,jig or supplies for sale?  (Read 6091 times)

Offline Bwk

Why aren't there more press,jig or supplies for sale?
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
As I started to make my own calls last year I noticed there are very few options when it comes to suppliers for diaphragm calls. There seems to be a lot of interest in this so you would think there would be more people making other options for presses and hand jigs wouldn't ya? And very few suppliers for latex frames and tape also it seems? Seems like Feather Ridge is the only place to get a press or a jig unless you have access to a machine shop to make your own. And Pioneer for all the supplies . I have looked on the web for more but very little shows up.  What's your thoughts on this?

Offline ldkmlr5401

Re: Why aren't there more press,jig or supplies for sale?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:03 AM »
When a guy like Thad Bright make a press and tape cutter to near perfection not really sure where anyone would go from there? Recently another company has started producing an "imitation" press and cutter like Feather Ridges they honestly look like a near copy but after messing with their press at the convention last year it doesn't stand a chance against my Feather Ridge press. The tolerances must not be as tight. Seemed very sloppy ! JMO

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »
I think it all comes down to "supply and demand".  There are just not that many people that are seriously interested enough in getting into making their own mouth calls to fork out the cash for a press.  Most folks will spend less money buying a few calls a year during their hunting lifetimes than they will to buy a press and the supplies needed to start making calls.  The demand just is not out there.

Offline featheridge

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:13:06 PM »
Thank you ldkmlr5401 !!! And yes there just isn't enough Business to Mass Produce these Presses !!! Ive been at it about 18-19 years !! There isn't much I haven't done to a  Press ,,, 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:52:05 AM »
There is no reason to go anywhere else than Thad.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 10:34:16 PM »
If you are just making a few calls for yourself & maybe a few friends you dont need any press or cuter