OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-13 performance/ Where it counts!!

Started by decoykrvr, March 31, 2011, 11:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

Last year I performed five thorough necropsies on turkeys killed w/ Hevi-13, 7's.  Two of the birds were evaluated first w/ x-rays, followed by a complete dissection of the head and neck.  I posted my results on OG, but unfortunately they were lost in the "crash".  As a former biologists, I've done necropsies on turkeys for over 30 years and I can say without reservation that I've never documented the penetration, pass-through, and tissue damage from a factory loaded shell which was inflicted by the Hevi-13, 7's at ranges of 30-52 yards.  The only factory load which approximated the Hevi-13, 7's was the Hevi-13, 6's, which I shot exclusively for several season prior to the introduction of the 7's.  The added number of pellets to the birds head and neck from shells delivering the 7's vs the 6's translates to a significant increase in energy.  Ronnie, Hal and several others on OG with extensive experience reloading HTL had accurately predicted the potential of the Hevi-13, 7's.  Last year made a believer out of me!!!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Mag10

goblr77

spur collector

ILIKEHEVI-13

Well I can't comment because of now I am boycotting Hevi-13 loads. 

shootumindaface

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 31, 2011, 12:23:53 PM
Me too.. LOL I wonder what a HW 7 would reveal

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 31, 2011, 12:30:28 PM

Well I should say I am boycotting buying Hevi-13 loads.  I will use what I have for now, and then no more having to worrying about the folks at EM screwing with my loads and me not knowing about it. 

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 31, 2011, 12:38:30 PM

Well I should say I am boycotting buying Hevi-13 loads.  I will use what I have for now, and then no more having to worrying about the folks at EM screwing with my loads and me not knowing about it. 

Brad what are you going to reccomend now that you cant with the hevi13 7s :whip2:
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on March 31, 2011, 12:41:26 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 31, 2011, 12:38:30 PM

Well I should say I am boycotting buying Hevi-13 loads.  I will use what I have for now, and then no more having to worrying about the folks at EM screwing with my loads and me not knowing about it.  

Brad what are you going to reccomend now that you cant with the hevi13 7s :whip2:

That's a good question.   I haven't got an answer.  But I know I am tired of EM's mentality and the likes of Mr. Peterson.  All he wants to do is toot his own horn and not listen to customer complaints.  Oh well.  I guess I'm gonna have to get some good TSS loads from Hal.  

decoykrvr

One of the turkeys which was x-rayed was a 3 yr. old, 22lb gobbler which was shot w/ 12 gauge, Hevi-13, 2oz., #7's at 32 yards.  The bird was facing to my left when shot.  The only shot retained in the bird were adjacent to the vertebral bones and on the interior lateral side of the skull indicating that they had passed through the left side of the skull, traversed the brain and lodged in the opposite side.   A number of pellets had passed through and exited the skull. Excluding shot to the beak, snood, dewlap, caruncles, and grazing strikes, I counted 47 pellets which struck the head and neck.  I'd love to evaluate a bird shot w/ the Fed HW, but unfortunately, after shooting a lot of both 3" and 31/2" shells through a wide variety of choke tubes, I've given up on the factory HW shells since I was never able to duplicate my patterns w/ the factory Hevi-13 offerrings.   I've got a pre-2011 stash and hopefully by the time I run out, EM will get back on the right track.  If not, I too will be communicating w/ Hal.

archery1

great proof.. i shot the hvi 3" 7's also and cant wait to try them out.. got another month yet
Take a kid hunting

buck_hunter21

Looks like you need to change your name then.
Spill Blood

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!