Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Roosting birds

Started by wmn2, March 04, 2016, 11:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

How do you guys go about roosting birds the night before? Do you go out and just listen and see if you hear any gobbling or other calling? Do you call to initiate a response? If you are calling, what calls are you using? Clucks, yelps, gobbles? Or are you using owl or crow calls?

First season so I'm trying to get as far ahead as I can on this stuff.

Gumby

Go out and listen quietly then Coyote yelping at dark

Big perm2

The only time I ever roost any is when I'm in Missouri. They seem to gobble great the last 30 min of daylight.. All I do is owl or crow call

Talkem into given up!!!

jepcho

I don't get a chance to roost birds as often as I'd like, but when I do I am mostly listening and shock calling.  Usually I'll use an owl or hawk when roosting but have used coyote howler.  I never use turkey sounds when roosting. 

I have killed way more birds that weren't roosted the night before than ones that were, and like I said I don't get out and do it that often, but the feeling of going to bed and knowing you are going after a bird in the morning and you already know exactly where he is, is a pretty good feeling.  But definitely doesn't guarantee anything in the morning.

wmn2

kdsberman

Im in a somewhat unique, yet unfortunate, situation:  My birds dont roost on my property. Instead, they roost maybe 600 or more yards south of me.  Always have.  I feel a little "left out" because I cant "roost" the birds, so I have to wait it out for the hens to leave the toms or hope for them to get so interested that they come over.  This has made me a better turkey hunter because I've had to learn how to convince them over to me or else id be eating tag soup.