OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Load for Mossberg 835??

Started by Trad1, March 02, 2016, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trad1

Going to purchase a new Mossberg 835 turkey gun,Was wondering how the winchester longbeard #4s work with the factory x-full choke that comes with the gun.I don,t plan on getting a after market choke this year.
Anybody using this gun with just the factory choke?Any other size shot work better??

dirt road ninja

davisd9

5s, the stunned tom shuffle is not as fun as it sounds.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Philippe

5's are my favorite, just be sure to pattern it good.

Roost 1

Longbeards 4s or 5s with a JEBS .650 works great.

trkehunr93

I would try the 4's, when they came out the 4's put up impressive patterns.  5's are a all around good choice, plenty of pellets and excellent knock down power.  Just be aware of what the pattern looks like at twenty yards, don't get fixated on 40 yards.  As we all know most shots are inside 30 and you don't want a rifle like pattern at that range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

I shot a 835 w factory choke n 4 longbeards last year. Almost too tight n it threw the pattern a little to side. Had to get aftermarket sights that raised my head too much. Drove me nuts but they patterned great. I've since switched that gun back to supremes

surehuntsalot

mine loves the Winchester XX magnum's 4's and 5's,
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Copper1

I shoot longbeard # 5s out of mine with the Mossberg x-full turkey choke and get a fantastic pattern. I actually don't know how it could be much better than it is. Inside 20 yards its basically a slug gun.

stinkpickle

I would start with Longbeard #6's.  Actually, 835's digest almost anything well, so start at the most economical end and work your way up.  Once your point-of-impact is determined and you're consistently hitting 100+ holes in a 10" circle at 40 yards, you're good to go.

PEHunter

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 17, 2016, 09:41:08 PM
mine loves the Winchester XX magnum's 4's and 5's,

My old 835 with the Ulti-full choke liked these as well.