OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New York 2016

Started by Dr Juice, March 02, 2016, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Juice

I went out to scout and pattern my Win SX2 this past weekend in Sullivan County. Well, I did not hear or see any birds in the woods during my scouting endeavors. I did see loads of deer everywhere I turned and they all appeared in great health. As I concluded my scouting on Sunday morning and made my way to Route 209 from a back road, there they are .... a flock of 15 birds in a driveway and on the front lawn of a home with a Thunder Chicken standing erect with his rope dangling in the wind. I could not slow down enough to assess the rest of the flock due to safety reasons. It did get me pumped none the less.

My patterning session was not as successful as i wished it to be. I cannot get the patterns from my SX2 like we see in this forum, but that's another story for another place and time.

Anyway, I will keep you updated as we approach the season and I ask the same of from you. Good luck to all.

WNY Bowhunter

Saw two beautiful strutters with about 20 hens tonight...they were keeping a couple of jakes and another longbeard at bay. Also saw a stud of a gobbler with a bunch of hens this morning at my youth season spot. Hope he sticks around!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

OldSchool

I heard some SWEET music this morning, watched a couple strutters do their stuff, then had a jake cross the road in front of me on my way home.  :turkey2:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Dr Juice

Quote from: OldSchool on March 16, 2016, 01:24:00 PM
I heard some SWEET music this morning, watched a couple strutters do their stuff, then had a jake cross the road in front of me on my way home.  :turkey2:

Bob
What county are you in?

philbilly223

On the way to work this morning I saw a group of 8 or so hens and a tom in full strut. Schenectady county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldSchool

Quote from: mlisandro on March 16, 2016, 01:28:31 PM
Quote from: OldSchool on March 16, 2016, 01:24:00 PM

Bob
What county are you in?

I'm in the northern Otsego/southern Herkimer Co. area. The winter flocks are just starting to break up here and I'm starting to see birds slowly filtering back into their spring haunts. Just a bird here and there right now, but it's a good sign.

Bob

Terry

Still haven't seen any strutters in Oswego county.

tomstopper

Seen two yesterday with about 15 hens and one strutted and was a nice one...

NYlogbeards

Quote from: Terry on March 16, 2016, 05:12:58 PM
Still haven't seen any strutters in Oswego county.

Me neither, but i haven't been scouting either, i'll keep an eye out but very little time and i still have to pattern my gun before i can hit the woods, they're there though they always are.

Dr Juice

Going upstate this weekend to sight in my SX2 and do some scouting. Standby for the report no later than early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I've been getting Txt messages like this the past week from my hunting buddy in NY...

"100 birds flew across the creek this am and are out in the pasture right behind the barn as im milking, you shoulda seen it! counted 15 round fans"

"Drove by Mrs. ______'s farm today and had 3 slobs walk in front of the truck by the gate... ____ said he saw a flock of a dozen 2yr olds and jakes there last week thumping on each other"

"Was up at ____ farm making sure we're good for the youth and Vet hunts again this year. Must have been 50 birds and 10 of them had ropes out by the Island" (7 acre patch of timber surrounded by 1/2 mile of fields on all sides) unbelievably good farm but we can only usually get in to take kids and vets during those hunts and need to give a few old timers at least 2weeks of the regular season before the farm will allow my buddy and I full run of the place.

With a short weak winter I think theres going to be a ton of healthy sized birds running around this spring, as long as its not 90 degrees by mid May we should have a bang up year.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dr Juice

Hello Gents. I patterned my SX2 this weekend and did some scouting. I didn't hear a gobbler but I saw a hen on the side of a back road. I gently yelped at her when she disappeared in the pines and about 15-seconds later she comes running to the truck with a barrel chested jake trying to jump on her. He had an above average size head but only 4" beard. He got my blood boiling for sure. Here's a couple of pics I took with my phone.

Sent from my thunder chicken slaying machine!

Dr Juice

Anyone hear or see any thunder chickens recently?

Sent from my thunder chicken slaying machine!

OldSchool

I witnessed a little shoving match early this morning. I was out listening when two gobblers came into a field a few hundred yards away. They wrapped necks and shoved each other around for probably twenty minutes, then disappeared back into the woods still going at it.

Thanks for the pics. :icon_thumright:

Bob

NYlogbeards

Haven't seen or heard any but received my Flextone Thunder Chicken decoy the other day!