turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New York 2016

Started by Dr Juice, March 02, 2016, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrustyRusty

I thought youre only allowed one bird per day in New York ???

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 17, 2016, 09:43:57 AM
I tagged out yesterday, killed two really nice birds and had called one for a Vet hunter but was an ego check for sure this year. Very tough hunts delt with Rain, Wind, and even some hail/snow on the one lone perfectly sunny day I had I never heard or saw a single turkey after fly down also had more hunting pressure it seemed on some of the farms that are usually fairly un-pressured got hunted hard by other guys.

TauntoHawk

I ment for the year, over a week apart. I wouldn't ever want to end my season too quickly
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Devastator

Had one this morning in the tree about 80 yards gobble his arse off,stayed in the tree till 615.About 600 i was scanning the trees and saw him on a limb in and out of strut.Only yelped 3 soft yelps the whole time,he answered,i shut up thinking he only has to drop 40 yards into this field.NEGATIVE,he came out of tree and went the opposite way,gobbled 1 more time going away.Left him,heard another had with'n 100 yards gobbled couple dozen times,then went silent.Had 2 jakes in yesterday in another spot and heard 2 others gobbling hard on roost,along ways away.TIME WILL TELL LOLOLL on this wacky season,killed 2 in Pa first week and 1 in NY on first friday.Good luck everyone on these pain in the butt late season birds.

NYlogbeards

So, today i figured i'd give my honey hole a break and let the Turkeys rest, instead i went to a strip of power lines to see if i could find any gobblers there... Now I've only hunted here twice last deer season and seen no turkey signs, and this morning not one gobble was to be heard, I'm thinking to my self "There is no damn turkeys here" i figured i'd stick it out and sit and soft call... Watched some deer grazing then checked my watch and it said 11:31 so i figured to pack up and head home, but wait! whats that right there at 30 yards? A gobbler staring me in the face, i raised my 20ga and boom the Win XX dropped him right in his tracks.

Weighed 18 pounds and had a 6" beard

TauntoHawk

way to go keeping after them
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NYlogbeards

Pretty good morning, i'm tagged out but my dad isn't and he was able to get one this morning. had one gobbling on the roost... after he flew down to the field my dad dropped him at 45 yards, the Win XX is one good hard hitting load. i'll post a picture when i upload it...

Dr Juice

I finally scored brothers on Friday 5/20. I shot a bruiser at 18.4lbs with a 12" paintbrush with 1" (sharp as knife) and .625" spurs. I dropped him at ~35yds. A great morning for sure. Then yesterday, I called in a nice one for my cuz. It took 10-mins and he was on a string. His bird was 16.4lbs, 9" beard, and .75" Spurs on both sides. Our season is pretty much done due to family commitments. For those of you that are still going at it, good luck.

Sevenyearsandcounting

This boss tom had eluded me 5 times this year. Today and yesterday he gobbled a good 200 times. I got a great bead on him at about 50-60 yards. He is 23 lbs...inch spurs on both...9 inch paintbrush like beard. Beard looks like it should have split into two. The base was funny but it was all one and massive.

philbilly223

Tagged out in NY. 8 inch beard and 3/4 spurs. Came in with another Tom and two jakes. They put on a great show with lots of jake yelps and strutting! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Great job. I ate one tag this year. I wish I had more time to hit the woods. Congrats.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Quote from: philbilly223 on May 27, 2016, 07:28:36 PM
Tagged out in NY. 8 inch beard and 3/4 spurs. Came in with another Tom and two jakes. They put on a great show with lots of jake yelps and strutting! 

Congrats! Nice bird! Up north? South east? West or north central? You don't have to tell me the direct town if you don't want to just like to see if it's still worth hitting the woods tomorrow. I got my big bird. I am ok with eating one tag. It's been a great year.

philbilly223

Both were in Schenectady county about 10 miles from each other. Missed one in PA too bc I didn't wait long enough and took a shot that was too far.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Very nice. I'm in Ontario county but took the bird in the hills around Dansville. I gotta get a few new farms. Time to start driving out the most remote farm area possible! We have three 1,000 acre diary farms we hunt but others are in there frequently and it makes it tough.