OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Chalk?  (Read 4873 times)

Offline chuckward

Chalk?
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:26:47 AM »
What's your favorite chalk on scratch boxes and were are you purchasing it?  Chuck

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Chalk?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
I started using Rain Chalk last year, a block of it goes a long way.  You can get it at Midwest Turkey Call Supply.  My other red, brown, white chalks are now in a storage box.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
Chalk?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:42:36 AM »
I really like rain chalk on scratchers as well. Most need chalk regularly. The rain chalk sticks around a little longer. Also has a little better bite so it changes the way they play slightly to me.

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 03:58:36 PM »
 Another good one is sidewalk chalk. It's a little more gritty and grabs good. Stays on a little longer I think.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:31:03 PM »
Another good one is sidewalk chalk. It's a little more gritty and grabs good. Stays on a little longer I think.

Just to be sure, are you referring to the stuff that kids play with? Like the stuff that comes in a tub with like 20 different colors? If so, I'm sitting on a goldmine. Girls have some of that and there's no way I'd ever run out. Thought someone said that it was kinda want and would ruin a call but I don't know. Never tried anything other than the brown stuff.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 10:54:18 PM »
Rain chalk is excellent...You can buy it right from the guy who makes it. Just google "rain chalk." It does give more "bite" on the call and makes an o.k. call sound good...
Be careful of chalks that aren't made for turkey calls as some have wax in them that can ruin a call...

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »
Rain chalk is excellent...You can buy it right from the guy who makes it. Just google "rain chalk." It does give more "bite" on the call and makes an o.k. call sound good...
Be careful of chalks that aren't made for turkey calls as some have wax in them that can ruin a call...

Great info, some chalks do have an "oil" in them as well and do want to stay away from them.

MK M GOBL

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:16:59 PM »
Yes, oil...Couldn't recall whether it was oil or wax...Thanks "M"

Offline SS Calls

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  • Southwest Virginia
    • SS Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »

Just to be sure, are you referring to the stuff that kids play with? Like the stuff that comes in a tub with like 20 different colors? If so, I'm sitting on a goldmine. Girls have some of that and there's no way I'd ever run out. Thought someone said that it was kinda want and would ruin a call but I don't know. Never tried anything other than the brown stuff.

Yea, that's what I'm talking about. Not saying to use it on box calls, although I have years ago.. I've used a yellow stick of it on scratch box strikers for quite some time. Works well for me. As for wax, heck not sure if it has it or not.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 07:38:59 AM »
I like the rain chalk on my scratchers, I have some sidewalk chalk that I have used, seems to work fine, a little less bite than the rain chalk and it doesn't last as long. Frankly, I don't need much chalk on my scratch boxes, they sound even better with less.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 08:16:28 AM »
     Brown/rosin chalk