OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What're your strong and weak suits?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
What're your strong and weak suits?
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
If you read the classic old books about turkey hunting, they hunted a particular way and they killed turkeys (when there weren't very many in this country).  If you hunt with your grandpa, he hunts a time honored way and kills turkeys.  If you watch game call videos, they hunt a certain way and kill turkeys.  We all hunt using a combination of tactics, calling philosophies, set-up locations or that little secret that you discovered that gives you one extra ounce of advantage.  And admittedly , we all have habits that simply need to be dropped like a prom dress.

What are your strengths and weaknesses in the Spring woods?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline turkey_slayer

• Longbeard
  • SouthWest VA
What're your strong and weak suits?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
I don't know what I would consider my weakness. If I don't kill then I look back and think what I could have done different but like they say, hindsight is 20/20 lol. I'm pretty patient. I don't rush to him as soon as I hear him gobble or call right when he sounds off. I think that's probably the biggest mistake people make.

I try to figure out where to kill him first. After that I think a lot of turkey hunting is about feel. Sometimes you need to get aggressive and other times you don't.  If you have several seasons under your belt and been able to work a lot of birds I think a lot of it just comes second nature on what to do. Over thinking saves a lot of birds.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: What're your strong and weak suits?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »
This will be my 42nd year chasing turkeys.  I have seen days when they are suicidal and would come running to anything. The majority of my days afield have found the birds to be overly skeptical and keenly wary. I have learned a few things about them, but I know better than to say that I actually know the bird.

My strengths are crafty sneakiness and an ability to get into their heads on occasion.  I have found that birds will get very close to me without me being detected and busted. I consider myself a good caller, but not a great one. I am willing to try weird things to put myself into position to get one.  I have a respect but no fear of any animal in the woods be it a coyote, bobcat or any type of snake.

My weaknesses are that I can lack patience, particularly early in the season, and won't allow a situation to fully develop before I get up and move. In many occasions, I will undercall to a bird when an aggressive approach might be the best.

One 'advantage' that I have is that most of my hunting is for public land gobblers in Mississippi. If there are other birds in this nation that pose a greater challenge than these, I have not hunted them before. The private land birds are still tough, but old public land gobblers are a uniquely equipped and adapted animal.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline jakesdad

• Longbeard
  • NE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 05:54:03 PM »
Strengths=Not scared to go outside the box and try something. Usually have a fair deal of patience

Weakness=Lack of patience when things are slow. Replay things thru my head over and over on the near misses.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »
strengths: not scared to do or try something different
weakness: let my guard down in slow times, sometimes I doubt my calling, second guess myself from time to time
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »
Strengths:  I'm very good at reading terrain,  recognizing travel/feed/strutt/roost areas, excellent range estimation.  I'm good at setting up right (1st rule of turkey hunting-you set up wrong and you're already beat) and reading what birds are going to do in MOST situations-not all.  I get schooled virtually every spring, BUT...I try my best to LEARN from those humbling lessons.  I am above avg to very good caller.

Weaknesses:  I've let my butt get fat and my cardio is almost nonexistent.  I AM working on that though.  I have a tendancy to over call and call too  loud sometimes-usually early on and that has cost me some HUGE birds that I would have normally harvested had I chilled out and made myself slow down and tone down.   Idk if it's a weakness, but I tend to tinker-like I'm never happy with a result even when it's WORKING!  That can cause a backwards shift in performance and then you're scrambling to get back to where you were killing birds. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »
My weakness is I am obsessed with turkey hunting. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline mason3toes

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »
Strengths-Good caller for a moderate newbie, I'm a heavy researcher/reader so i believe my learning curve has been shortened, good property to hunt, good stamina.

Weakness-little impatient, still in the #'s game, overtrusting of fellow turkey hunters!.

Offline Eric Gregg

• Longbeard
  • Charleston,Ms
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
I feel that calling is one of my strongest areas. I have been able to call in groups of hens and a couple of satellite jakes that were doing a lot of gobbling.
I have to slow my calling down though, as I have realized that when the hens came in they were acting is if they were coming to rescue a lost comrad and I think i sounded a little more frantic than I realized.

My weakness is my hearing. It isn't like it used to be and I believe that it has caused me to realize a little to late that the distant noise I heard was actually a gobbler.