OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Devotional for Thursday 3/31/2011

Started by Roostem33, March 30, 2011, 10:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roostem33

A lot of us are struggling under legalism even though we speak of living by grace. We're trying hard to keep the rules, assuming that God will reward our good behavior and (hopefully) overlook our mistakes. I've been a dedicated rule-keeper myself. My mom and dad taught me some basic rules, and most of them were excellent—right over the plate. But they're not biblical, and they have nothing to do with my standing before God. They taught me everyone needs a solid eight hours of sleep each night. When you get up in the morning, you brush your teeth. And do the same before going to bed. Before you eat a meal, you wash your hands. Period. And when you pray, you must close your eyes.

Once a visiting pastor spoke in our small church, and when he prayed, he did not close his eyes. (I peeked.) I decided that either he was a phony, or that this particular "eyes-closed" rule might not be of the iron-clad variety. Too often we define Christianity by a list of arbitrary do's and don'ts, reducing a relationship with God through Jesus Christ to an exercise in rule-keeping. But God cannot be put into a box. He's much, much bigger than that. And His grace is super-abundant.

Make no mistake. We stand right before God not on the basis of our ability to keep an exhaustive list of rules, but on the rock-solid reality of the shed blood of Jesus Christ. When we place our faith in Him, His grace "covers" us, and His righteousness becomes our own.

Have a great week,
Jody

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

mmims

Awesome  Romans 1:17 my favorite verse...Sola Fide...Faith Alone!

Thanks my Brother

BOFF

Thanks Jody!!

Isn't it great we don't have to earn our way into heaven!!

Only through the blood of our precious Savior Jesus, and our faith in Him.

God Bless,
David B.

turkey slayer