OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Struck out today  (Read 1717 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Struck out today
« on: February 27, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »
No, not turkey hunting. Loaded up the old dog and the pup and headed to Maryland today for a late season squirrel hunt. Dog treed 3 times but we came up empty. Two were den trees and the one was a nest. He was adamant that the squirrel was in the tree with the nest. Wouldn't leave it for nothing. Generally don't have to lead him off tree but man it must've been some hot scent. The pup didn't do much but run around. Can't expect much though. It's all new to him. Gotta get him out more.

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Struck out today
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
I love squirrel hunting with a dog and have owned a couple of good ones ..
Way to go hick
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Struck out today
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 08:07:38 PM »
My old dog is showing his age pretty fast. He was the first I'd ever gotten. Bought him as a 3 y/o. He was stellar for several years. He's 9 now and showing his age quite quick. Had a pup that unfortunately died at 1.5 y/o. He was phenomenal even at his young age. Pretty sure he could tree squirrels in the desert. The pup is only 7 months old and his litter mates are doing really well. Unfortunately, I decided to trap this fall instead of running the pup. Going to start getting him out as much as I can now and see how he turns out by spring.