OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Working on my calling/pot  (Read 3199 times)

Offline TripleGobbleCalls

• Triple Gobble Calls
Working on my calling/pot
« on: February 26, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »
I've been working on my calling and my pots to try to get the sound I want. I think I'm almost there but would like some more opinions! Thanks for listen ending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fan Club

Re: Working on my calling/pot
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 07:32:39 AM »
Sounding good!

A couple thoughts-

On the cutting go out towards the edge of the call every now and then to throw in a higher note.

On the yelping, cadence is good but it is all about the same volume. Try starting a little softer, grow louder in the middle syllables and the trail off a little at the end. Not only will it sound more realistic, it can even imply that the hen is turning her head.

Gobblers, look out!   :newmascot:

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

• Triple Gobble Calls
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »
Thank you for the great advice! I kept messing around after I made the video, and did start going to the edge more and it did exactly what you were saying with the higher notes. I've been hunting for years, and just now decided to tune my skills for some reason lol

Offline Fan Club

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 08:09:57 AM »
I've been hunting for years, and just now decided to tune my skills for some reason lol

Great hunters are always trying to improve their skill set. I'm 60 yrs old and still work at it... after all, there is no graduation day at the school of turkey hunting! I collect and read a TON of turkey books always looking for other's experiences that mirror my own. It's probably true that most modern hunters call "Too long and too loud." On the other hand, the real old timers were probably too conservative. My Missouri mentor never yelped more than five syllables, always preceded by a light whistle almost like a kee, and always softer than I would call. He is such a turkey killer that I'm surprised there were any left when I finally got down there in 1994.

I have received the best gobbler responses from a four note yelp sequence with the second syllable being the loudest by far, trailing off to almost nothing. (Now I'm giving away some secrets). Try it. Most hunters use five to seven syllables or more when yelping and I think a shortened sequence is something the turkeys don't hear as often (at least from hunters). BTW- some nice looking calls on that website!

shoot straight-

<-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-  <-

"Really, it's just like a musical instrument. If I'd have spent the same amount of time practicin' the piano as I have practicin' turkey calls, I'd be as good as Liberace."  Ben Rogers Lee

• Triple Gobble Calls
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
I agree with you! A lot of hunters, including myself, have called too much! I think it's more that we don't think about how much we're calling because we're pumped up and just want the bird to keep gobbling. I'll give your little secret a try lol. I have learned that when you throw something at them that they haven't heard, they're definitely more curious. And thank you! I still have a lot of improving to do on the calls I make, but I'll learn with experience!