Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Types of calls (start with a favorite)

Started by wvmntnhick, February 25, 2016, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Just wondering what types of calls everyone uses. Not necessarily brands, but types. Everyone has a favorite that they use for various reasons. Just kind of wondered what y'all preferred. I'll start:

I've always been a fan of a good sounding box call. Some refuse to use them saying they're too easy to manipulate making it possible for any fool to call a turkey. Until recently, I could've almost agreed. Couldn't believe the number of guys at the sportsman's show that couldn't get a solid yelp out of a box. It's a matter of finding the sweet spot. Recently ordered a call from Richard McKinnis to replace a lost Primos box cutter that I've used for years. Had his wife play it over the phone for me. It sounded quite good. Got it here and struggled with it initially. It's got a very good sound to it but the "sweet spot" was a bit harder to locate initially. After finding it on both sides, this thing will sing pretty well. I'm liking it more everyday. Just sent the money for a Lonnie Mabry box that someone offered to me at a good price. I'll see which one sounds better and determine who goes with me at the beginning of the season and who's waiting in the bullpen. I just really like a good box because they can flat cover some distance. To keep this post from being extremely long, I'll wait for a reply and chime in with some others I like.

davisd9

Trumpet is my favorite and I like to start early morning on it.

If not the trumpet I start with a pot call, usually a slate. I use a crystal and carry a glass.

Next is a box call.

Last is a mouth call.

I use all of them and just depends on how I feel or what if going on as to which I grab.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Gumby

Trumpet first.
Good pot call second.
Mouth call third just bc I'm not as proficient with them as other calls. Can blow one fine but doesn't sound as good as trumpet or pot to my ears.

anthonyjhallen

A S&S custom short box is usually first up because thats what I mostly use as a locator. Next is usually a mouth call. Competition callers would say my yelps don't roll enough but the pile of dead birds didn't seem to mind. If I can't get them to gobble with a mouth call it's usually an older A&J slate that does the trick. That's the home team lineup here in TX. If I am out of town it mostly mouth calls because I can make the most variety with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookedspur

I start with a box made by Scott Gainer then go to a pot made of glass made by Pappy and finish
With a slate by Lonny Sneed.

Now sometimes nothing works and the next time any of them will ? 

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Rick Howard

Your gonna want them all eventually if not now :). Pick out the ones that interst you most now and have at it.

What interstes me the most are pot calls.  I really have my eye on a push pin though.  I recently watched a video of Mr. Old Gobbler playing one one of his.  It's on the top of my too get list now. 

wvmntnhick

In recent years I've found myself relying more on mouth calls. I've gotten much better with particular models in the last couple at least. I'm with you though Anthony. I doubt mine roll over as they should. Birds haven't seemed to mind though. Anyway, diaphragm calls were generally my second choice. This year may change a bit though. Buddy of mine snagged me a Halloran crystal mistress that I'm really digging. Really love my McKinnis long slate as well. Been playing with some tube calls and wanna try one this year. Think a fella is making a trumpet for me as well. Never used one before but want to. Anyway:
Box
Diaphragm/friction
Tube
I believe that's going to be the batting order this spring.

Recently got a couple scratch boxes in a deal as well. The SS custom sounds great. It's beautiful as well. If I can bring myself to break free of the norm, I'd like to give it a try as well but I gotta figure out how to purr on this thing first. Clucks and yelps are easy, effortless and sound amazing.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: hookedspur on February 25, 2016, 07:21:54 PM
I start with a box made by Scott Gainer then go to a pot made of glass made by Pappy and finish
With a slate by Lonny Sneed.

Now sometimes nothing works and the next time any of them will ?

Was just looking back over this. Is Scott Gainer the guy that owns Gainers Game Calls? If so, I could drive to the location if I knew exactly where it was. I think they're in Martinsburg, WV. He makes some good stuff.

On a side note, I've recently picked up a Yingling crystal, he made an aluminum with a blue pot for me and someone sold me a 3" Yingling copper for a steal of a deal. I've really taken a liking to mikes pot calls. They make the sounds that I'm looking for and have got to be the easiest pots I've ever had the pleasure of running. No screeching that you typically get from typical metals. And they're not real picky about striker composition.

Snagged a trumpet from lumberjack Jeff jones as well. He makes some good tubes and his trumpet is quite nice. Just figured I'd throw this out in case someone is looking for some good stuff at very reasonable prices.

hookedspur

Yes Scott lives in WV ,I love his Box calls
CRUSADERS

snapper1982

My favorite is a mouth call. Next is a pot call. Usually grab a yingling copper but i also really like my spring fever glass and slate calls. Usually just have these 3 on me but sometimes i take others. Then a box call. Was a tried qnd true primos box cutter but i am retiring it and going to carry a couple mountain side boxes. 1 cottonwood and 1 locust over poplar.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: hookedspur on March 19, 2016, 10:27:04 AM
Yes Scott lives in WV ,I love his Box calls

Thought that was the same fella. He sells some of his calls at the gun store I frequent. He's got 2 boxes there now and several friction calls. Diaphragms too iirc.

hookedspur

If they have a Butternut box with purple heart paddle try it
or poplar with a cherry paddle my personal favorite.
CRUSADERS

GobbleNut

I'm 90% a mouth call man, then about 9% pot call,...and the remaining 1% box.  I just like the simplicity and ease of using a mouth call,...as well as being able to reproduce most any sound turkeys might make when you are talking to them.  I do agree that there are times and places where a good box or pot is the best tool,...but in terms of overall turkey talk, they are less versatile.

hookedspur

I agree ,just wish I could use a mouth call better.
CRUSADERS

wvmntnhick

Quote from: hookedspur on March 20, 2016, 02:26:13 PM
I agree ,just wish I could use a mouth call better.

Same here. I've gotten a lot better and have finished more birds with a mouth call but that's only after getting them fired up with a box or something else.