Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

New strikers

Started by wmn2, February 25, 2016, 04:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

Hey all, I just ordered tulipwood, osage orange, and cedar strikers for my pot calls. I ordered the cedar for my slate and the other two off things I've read here. Any of you have personal experience with the tulipwood or osage? What type of calls you run them on? What sounds they make best?

Thanks for the help

Hunter1979

I think me, you, and 357mag all caught some pot fever this year!!     I have a cedar striker, I like how it runs, I don't have Osage or tulipwood, but I just got a katalox, it makes most of my calls scream.

wmn2

I've definitely caught the fever. I've been looking everyday here and on eBay to see if there's anything I want to pick up. I think I'm satisfied for this season. That doesn't mean I can't get more for off season practice though.  :toothy9:

Hunter1979

Ha!  That's what I said... Then I bought two more calls.  The best part is that I actually love them all, they sound amazing.

wmn2

I'm absolutely in love with my slate I got. I think I want to get some kind of halloran and a ceramic pot. I'd like a spalted wood or a burl next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wmn2

I got them in today. The cedar is amazing on my slate. The others are very good too. Glad I got them.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: wmn2 on February 29, 2016, 06:00:09 PM

I got them in today. The cedar is amazing on my slate. The others are very good too. Glad I got them.

Nice who made those?

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

wmn2

Toler game calls.

Here's a link to another auction of his.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/172116059024

You can buy separates or a 3 pack. He has pot calls too. i did a search on here about his calls and didn't find much so I've been leary of buying one. I really like his rosewood ceramic, but I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds here to see if I can find a more known name for a ceramic pot.

Tennessee Lead

Ok thanks I'll look into them

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

357MAGNOLE

Definitely got the bug on the pot calls. I had one a month ago. 3 now. 1 striker a month ago 6 now and 3 on the way.

Definitely 100% get in touch with Savduck on this forum and at bare minimum try his Jatoba striker. Thing is down right nasty. I just sent him money today and told him to pick me out "3 shouldn't be without strikers" that he makes.

I know I'm getting a persimmon, blood wood, and then something else random. Whatever he decides. They are a little thinner than most strikers and have a slight flared tip. The top end is not overly large and they all have a nice finish. They are for work and look great. Because of the small size/weight I can run them fast with excited clucks and that Jatoba made my other calls scream.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

wmn2

I'll look into it. I got the bug bad. I've got 6 strikers, laminate, purpleheart, cherry, tulipwood, osage, and cedar. 2 pots, one slate and one glass. I've been looking hard to find a ceramic and then get an all-weather striker to go with it for wet mornings. I really want to get a few flared tip strikers to try out and see how i like them.

Hunter1979

Are Savduck's strikers one piece? I've been looking into a jatoba after reading your comments about them.  I saw the same strikers from Toler on eBay.  I thought about trying 2 out as well, but I hesitated, please let me know how they run.  I think I'd still like to get an ipe and tulipwood striker.

wmn2

I'll try to upload a sound file today. Don't laugh because I'm not too great yet, but I'll upload what I have on glass and slate. Especially the tulipwood since it's what you're looking at that I have.

357MAGNOLE

Savducks are one piece.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

wmn2

These are all on my slate. I will try to upload glass tomorrow. It was hard enough trying to get the kids to be quiet while I did these three videos. The first is osage, the second is tulip, and the third is the cedar. Again, don't laugh, I still need a lot of practice.