OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hevi-metal Turkey  (Read 5018 times)

Offline HunterJon81

Hevi-metal Turkey
« on: February 24, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »
Does anyone know if you can shoot these shells through a standard extra full turkey choke since I believe its a mixture of steel and hevi-shot? Generally steel can't be shot through turkey chokes so just checking if anyone knows if this load is different.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline HunterJon81

Re: Hevi-metal Turkey
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:38:49 PM »
I hate to reply to myself but Mike with HeviShot called me back and explained this load has to be fired from a steel approved choke tube. Just in case anyone else was wondering.

Jon

Offline pax2448

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I had 2 boxes given to me and was wondering that myself. 

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Hevi-metal Turkey
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:40:44 PM »
Good to know. Safety first. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
who has patterned this?  results?  shot sizes are 4 and 6.  I like the price of 10$ for 5 shells. 
line 'em up

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
I'll be very Frank with you, Hevimetal shells are garbage. Myself and several others I duck hunt with tried them in various guns and chokes, they pattern terrible and we had more cripples with those shells than with a standard steel shot shell. If you are hunting an area where steel is required I would honestly stick with a solid non-toxic HTL load.

Offline YoungbuckTX

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 05:47:33 PM »
I also use heavy metal shell for ducks.  3in #2s.  I get a really good pattern from my Beretta, using a light mod choke.

I didn't realize this turkey load was steel though. That rules it out for me.  It doesn't have the knock down power
line 'em up

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 08:23:29 PM »
Does anyone know if you can shoot these shells through a standard extra full turkey choke since I believe its a mixture of steel and hevi-shot? Generally steel can't be shot through turkey chokes so just checking if anyone knows if this load is different.

Thanks,
Jon

stay away from these shells, they are junk, there is no hevi shot in these shells, just steel
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline Philippe

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 08:50:04 PM »

Thanks,
Jon

Not true, those shells are a blend of "Hevi shot" and steel, there is a very very small amount of the hevi shot underneath the steel shot. Either way, you are still garbage!

stay away from these shells, they are junk, there is no hevi shot in these shells, just steel