turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening this can of worms!!!!

Started by Bottomland, March 03, 2016, 08:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

Hate to do it but I am opening up this topic again. I know it has been discussed but I need some more advice. I've got a hand jig from Thad. Anyone who has this jig what are some of the ranges they are stretching too? I have one call I think I have figured out on the hand jig. It's .003 grey over 2 layers of phroph. I stretch to 185 on the hand jig and it's good for a split v and combo. My troubles is when I try to use a thicker latex (.004) on top and maybe not use proph as my bottom reeds, instead use 2 layers of .003. I can find the tension on this. I think I've gone everywhere between 170 - 250.  What should I be stretching 2 reed calls.  Trying to cut down on running through materials and ease my frustration. Any help I appreciate it.

Jbird22

I don't have his jig but built one similar to it and with 1 .004 over 2 .003's I'd recommend trying .280-.300 tension.

Sadler McGraw

Most 2 reed calls are in the 130-150 range.

Very few people can control calls stretched over 225. 
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

Jbird22

Quote from: Sadler McGraw on March 04, 2016, 01:58:43 PM
Most 2 reed calls are in the 130-150 range.

Very few people can control calls stretched over 225. 
Are those tensions for his press or hand jig?

bangbird

gobbler336

i too have thads hand jig, i usually stretch my stuff 265-280 is a real good range atleast for me,

Lonehowl

Yeah, everybody's talkin 2 different devices here. Some guys have  the arbor press style machine, and some have the small handheld jig. One does not stretch latex the same as the other, so you are talking 2 completley different tension ranges.

Mark