turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Try this one....

Started by GobbleNut, February 22, 2016, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Call making suggestion:  Here's one you guys might want to try...

Double reed .004 yellow over proph....1/16 setback on proph,....very slight tension on yellow with slight smile (mild back-tension),...same with the proph.  Right side offset combo cut (works best for me, but may vary with individual caller)

Stumbled on this one today and am really liking it.....

bangbird

That's close to my favorite call but I use three reeds.

- .004 on top.  I really like the light gray but I don't think it's available anymore.  Only have about 20 pieces left.
- .003 natural in the middle.
- Proph on the bottom

Stretch to .125 on Thad's press
Standard back tension (pull until I get a smiley face)

Combo cut

Lonehowl

My favorite is the yellow on top of 2 proph reeds with a clipped V cut. I also build em with a middle reed of natural latex. or the black latex. Very easy to get the higher front end with a reed combo and cut like this for a lot of guys imo. I also love ghost cuts, and like the yellow and  proph 3 reed setup.

008 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

010 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

GobbleNut

I used to pretty much use three reed calls exclusively, but more recently I've gotten away from them.  For me personally, I can get the sounds I prefer just as well with the two-reed, and with the added bonus of being able to call more softly and still maintain the quality of sound.  The more I run that yellow/proph combo, the more I like it.  Unless I stumble onto something better before the season, I think those will be my go-to calls this year.  I'm going to let some other folks try the call and see if it works as well for them.

I'm not a real ghost cut fan, I suppose because I have always been better with the V, modified V, or the combo.  Occasionally, I will keep modifying a call until I'm down to a bat cut,...and sometimes I end up with a call that sounds good to me, but that is a rarity. 

bangbird

I ran a two reed Ghost Cut for years.  Made with two .004 natural latex.  That's all I would use.  About five years ago I started using three reed calls.  Combo cuts and Batwing cuts

Lonehowl

I build a couple 2 reed calls. I make a 2.5 reed ghost cut, all natural latex, with one side clipped, and the half reed placed on top for a bit more support. (Bottom right)

004 by Lonehowl, on Flickr

perrytrails

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to experiment some with 2 reed calls. Gives me a place to start.

I like both the combo cut and the split V clipped.

With the clipped ends it does seem to help bring out the higher front end more.

perrytrails

I made one today with .004 green and .300 natural latex (used up my proph).

I used a 1.25 tension on thads press. Really sounds good.

Thanks again!!

Lonehowl

ZachH28

Quote from: perrytrails on February 24, 2016, 01:40:01 PM
I made one today with .004 green and .300 natural latex (used up my proph).

I used a 1.25 tension on thads press. Really sounds good.

Thanks again!!

125?? really? I am normally stretching something around 170. I will definitely have to give less tension a try. Are all of you other guys stretching this low? I am always down to try something new

any suggestions are very much appreciated this is an awesome thread!!

thanks again
Zach

TRKYHTR

Depends on what you want the call to do. If you want a loud call that will cutt and flydown cackle real good the lighter tension isn't very good. If you want a quiet soft call with good purrs and soft yelping the lighter stretches are real good.
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

perrytrails

I usually stretch a 3 reed around 170-175.

After I ran that 2 reed to break it in I do need a little more tension.

bangbird

I never stretch over 130.  120-125 is where I like it.

Bwk

Lonehowl, what are you stretching that clipped v-cut yellow at? Looks like more tension than my version..

Lonehowl

Well, I'd rather not say, but I stretch decently tight.
Mark