OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I'll never forget my first one  (Read 2021 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
I'll never forget my first one
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »
Time can neither fade nor corrupt your sweet memories of your first one. The glistening sunlight reflecting on their iridescent glow. You shivered in anticipation with your heavy gasping breath, their eyes made contact with yours and you turned a random moment into an indelible important milestone in your own personal history. You were never the same person after that. You walked into the woods that morning a boy, and emerged from those woods a short time later a man...with a dead gobbler over your shoulder.

They may be digital, they may be scanned snapshots. They are important to all of us. Put your pictures of your first gobblers up here and let us share in your joy with you.

FC

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:29:46 AM by FullChoke »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Re: I'll never forget my first one
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:27:09 AM »
April 14, 1976, about 7:00 am, 2 gobblers came to a Lynches Fool-Proof box call, this one didn't leave. He weighed 16 lbs, 4 ounces, had an 8" beard and 7/8" spurs. He succumbed to a Winchester 2-3/4" High Power shell pushing #6 lead shot from an Ithaca Model 37 12 gauge at a distance of 21 yards.

Standing with me is my grandfather who took this green horned knucklehead under his wing and taught me woodsmanship every chance we went to the woods together. He was almost as thrilled over this bird as I was. Almost.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.