North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

835 .676 stardot lb 3.5-2-6 now at 40 yards

Started by reflexl, February 22, 2016, 08:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooter

Quote from: vaturkey on March 02, 2016, 03:26:41 PM
Quote from: gophert on March 02, 2016, 03:23:09 PM
You better hope he doesn't get any closer!  A slight muscle twitch and you've missed that bird.

Was it REALLY 40 yds ?  ::)
I hate to say it, but yea, I'm with Ricky and Tim on that one. Been doing this for 45 years, and might have been born at night,... but not last nite.
Could have been a fluke, cause I have seen some weird stuff at the bench before, that I couldn't reproduce again.

reflexl

reflexl

reflexl

Going to play with it some more this weekend. Right now it is out shooting my BPS with 3.5 heavy #7. What I have noticed is that it is throwing a lot of double and triple pellets when it is very clean. That's why its hard to count the pellets on the picture. After shooting a couple of dirtying shots The twins and triplets spread out but the 10" count drops to 260+. Much more even though. After shooting two targets like this I thought if its doing that good the XX 3.5-2-6 should do great. Wasn't even close and I have killed a lot of birds with the XX loads. The best I could get out of them was 194 in 10". If it stays like this with the Longbeards I aint touching it. The 25 yard pattern would easily decapitate a bird. I don't like shooting long distance at birds but for science sake I am going to back up to 50 yards Saturday and see what happens. You fellers have any ideals on the twin and triple pellet strikes? Oh and I wouldn't try to pull wool over anyone's eyes. I realize that you boys have experience in these matters. I just thought it was super cool seeing it do this.

vaturkey

I'm calling BS on that pattern. It's suppose to be 40 yds not 40 Mother May I baby steps. Get ya a rangefinder for a TRUE 40 yd pattern !
Vaturkey

reflexl

I have one. I have two distances set up. one at 25 yards and one at 40. I have 8 turkey guns and this is only happening with this one. No reason to try to pull wool over anyone's eyes

Hansonc

320+ at lasered 40 yds with same load different gun and choke combo though. It can happen.  No flinching up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooter

My guess is, those were made on Friday, and someone got the epoxy mix wrong.  :toothy9:

drenalinld

I put up over 300 with 3.5" 2 oz LB 6's through my 870 SM with PG 0.670". 26" bbl. put up almost 200 with 4's. My steps average just over a yard. LB shells shoot tight.

reflexl

Quote from: drenalinld on March 04, 2016, 12:12:02 AM
I put up over 300 with 3.5" 2 oz LB 6's through my 870 SM with PG 0.670". 26" bbl. put up almost 200 with 4's. My steps average just over a yard. LB shells shoot tight.

Were you able to repeat it?

Dr Juice

Amazing numbers. I'm just concerned about the small gaps. Hopefully, those gaps are not consistent. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hansonc

Its a 10" circle simply reporting my findings. Happy hunting guy :smiley-char092:

birdman67

Loving God's Creation!

Dr Juice

Hansonc

Calculations??? It's a ten inch circle calculated and certified by Stanley.