turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger 2000?

Started by Neill_Prater, March 30, 2011, 02:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

Now that they have been out a few years, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Stoeger 2000? I received one as a gift a couple of years ago. Factory choke wasn't all that great, with the shells I had to test with (Winchester HV's, #5, Winchester Xtendeds #5, and Remington Premiers, #5) Picked up an HS Strut Undertaker choke on clearance from Wally World, and it throws a respectable pattern with the Xtendeds, but not as good as my old 11-87. Up to 40 yards, I'm pretty confident, but even though I try to avoid longer shots, I like having that additional 10 yards my Remington affords me, just in case. I really like the gun, especially the weight and pistol grip, but would like to have a little better pattern. I'm hoping someone else has worked up a great combo with this gun, and would be willing to share the results with me. I realize every gun is unique, but wouldn't mind dropping the bucks for a choke tube that is working well for someone else. I just don't like buying something as a guess, and then finding out it doesn't work. Been there, done that.

Anyway, thanks. Neill

NWBama

I use PG .670 and Hevi Magnum blend. It is my son's gun. I am happy with the combo. I would use it out to 50yds.

reynolds243

I have used one for 2 years (going on 3 now) and for the first 2 years used a jellyhead with Xtended range #6. Patterned pretty well with that combo.

switched to IC 665 and Hevi #7 this year and was averaging 235 at 40yds.

Shot the mag blends as well as was averaging 200 at 40yds with it.

reynolds243

here is one of the pattern targets....and yes i have fixed the POI issue lol

I would like to see what the PG does though...I was down to that or the IC and went with the IC...the SSX interested me as well.

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

SumToy

675 has gave good numbers and even kill pattern.  Now drop it to around 650 it put big numbers if you in a number war.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Neill_Prater on March 30, 2011, 02:43:36 PM
Now that they have been out a few years, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Stoeger 2000? I received one as a gift a couple of years ago. Factory choke wasn't all that great, with the shells I had to test with (Winchester HV's, #5, Winchester Xtendeds #5, and Remington Premiers, #5) Picked up an HS Strut Undertaker choke on clearance from Wally World, and it throws a respectable pattern with the Xtendeds, but not as good as my old 11-87. Up to 40 yards, I'm pretty confident, but even though I try to avoid longer shots, I like having that additional 10 yards my Remington affords me, just in case. I really like the gun, especially the weight and pistol grip, but would like to have a little better pattern. I'm hoping someone else has worked up a great combo with this gun, and would be willing to share the results with me. I realize every gun is unique, but wouldn't mind dropping the bucks for a choke tube that is working well for someone else. I just don't like buying something as a guess, and then finding out it doesn't work. Been there, done that.

Anyway, thanks. Neill

Hey Neill,

A number of folks have been very happy with the Hevi-13 chokes with that gun. That model has a .656 exit diameter and performs very well in the SBE & Nova that take the same choke.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

Jellyhead .655 or Kicks .655 and Hevi #7's. :z-guntootsmiley:

savduck

Im running an Indian Creek 665 and winchester extended range 6s. AWESOME PATTERN. I have patterned it out to 55 yards, and I very confident that I could kill easily out to probably 65 with it if I ever needed to. I dont count pellets, but I make my own targets on 8 X11 paper and at 55 yards, the paper is completely covered with pellets with an even dense spread, no holes.

My gun also had a good pattern with a Kicks 660 with winchester extended range 5s. Before I bought the indian Creek I also shot winchester 3" lead 4s out of the factory turkey choke. It was a solid 40 yard guns. Also like a 665 Terror Choke.

My gun did not like.....jelly head 665, rhino 673, briley hevi shot turkey choke, puregold 665.
Georgia Boy

Neill_Prater

Thanks for all the replies. I'm hoping some more guys chime in as well. Right now, it looks as if the IC 665 might be a good place to start. I've not shot any Hevishot shells for years, and am not aware of any local dealers, other than perhaps some regular gun shops. Winchester Xtendeds have kind of become my ammo of choice the last few years, and are readily available at the Bass Pro store in Springfield, plus they do well in my Remington. I could, of course, order some Hevi's, but if I can pick something up that will perform as well, I prefer to do that.

pullit

I am running a IC and Hevi #7's hand loads in mine (1 3/4 oz).

Just drill and tapped it for a Burris FF site. I hated the saddle mount I was using before.

SKFOOTER

Just for the record, I could not get any of the Indian Creek tubes to pattern any load to my liking in my SBE or my M1.  The Jellyhead .655 and the Kicks .655 were the choke tubes that patterned best in those guns.

Neill_Prater

Just realized I failed to mention my 2000 is the SteadyGrip model with a 24 inch barrel. Not sure if the barrel length is much of a factor in the correct choke, but thought it might be. Neill

pullit

Mine has the steady grip on it as well. I think mine is a 24 barrel as well.

reynolds243

Quote from: Neill_Prater on March 31, 2011, 11:15:32 PM
Just realized I failed to mention my 2000 is the SteadyGrip model with a 24 inch barrel. Not sure if the barrel length is much of a factor in the correct choke, but thought it might be. Neill

same on mine that was the same setup i posted pics of above of the 244 count.