turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nitro did eject

Started by tha bugman, February 20, 2016, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

Shot a couple of Nitros through my NEF and both times they would not eject.  Any thoughts as to why??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48

Possibly to much chamber pressure? But that is just a guess on my part.

tha bugman

Patterned well but I won't be shooting them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

357MAGNOLE

Probably a dumb question but did you cycle anything else through it after the fact? Does it cycle a loaded shell? If not the extractor claw and spring probably need a clean and lube.

Otherwise... Yeah probably an over pressure and they expanded too tight to come out smoothly.  I have heard that they run hot.  Which is pretty dangerous.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

redmag

A few years back I was shooting a 10 ga NEF Pardner and using Ray's shells.  I had 2 occasions when the shell did not eject.  I had shot at a bird well within range and just made him goofy and he got away.  I had to cut a stick and knock the shell out of the gun from the muzzle end.  The 2nd time I shot at a bird and the pellets just rattled down through the woods and sounded like some just cleared the barrel.  That bird left putting his head off.  Same extraction method.  I contacted Nitro and they sent me a new box of shells while claiming it was due to some bad powder they had gotten.  I went through a half box of the new shells with no problems before selling the gun. 

tha bugman

Yes I did.  I shot a Nitro, got it out then shot a Remington Nitro Mag which ejected just fine and then shot the second Nitro and it got stuck just like the first one.
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on February 20, 2016, 05:02:28 PM
Probably a dumb question but did you cycle anything else through it after the fact? Does it cycle a loaded shell? If not the extractor claw and spring probably need a clean and lube.

Otherwise... Yeah probably an over pressure and they expanded too tight to come out smoothly.  I have heard that they run hot.  Which is pretty dangerous.

deadbuck

Sounds to me like excess pressure expanded the brass on the hull to a point where the ejector did not have enough strength to eject it. I had it happen once with an 870 and a 3 inch 12 gauge Remington hevi shot shell when they first introduced Hevi Shot. Shot and crippled a bird and I could not pump the action back to eject to get another shell in the barrel. Watched him flop off with the 10 hens he was accompanying. They crossed a road and went through a section of set out pines. When the 10 hens exited the Pines into a huge field the Tom was not with them. Searched for 2 days and could not find him in thick woods.

tha bugman

I feel your pain brother....I hate it when that happens...about as sick as a fella can get.
Quote from: deadbuck on February 22, 2016, 11:18:48 AM
Sounds to me like excess pressure expanded the brass on the hull to a point where the ejector did not have enough strength to eject it. I had it happen once with an 870 and a 3 inch 12 gauge Remington hevi shot shell when they first introduced Hevi Shot. Shot and crippled a bird and I could not pump the action back to eject to get another shell in the barrel. Watched him flop off with the 10 hens he was accompanying. They crossed a road and went through a section of set out pines. When the 10 hens exited the Pines into a huge field the Tom was not with them. Searched for 2 days and could not find him in thick woods.

drenalinld

overpressure, too many of these stories with Nitro

Bowguy

My neighbor blew his barrel twice w those loads. A few other friends had rounds stick after shooting. I'd say they aren't worth screwing up a gun. Everyone wants an advantage but I figure just having a gun gives me one, blows up n there goes my advantage

Mike Honcho

If you kept the spent hulls and have access to digital micrometers you could measure the diameter  of the brass.

I had  a Mossberg 835 , a newer model, that 3 1/2" mag blends would stick in...chamber was deep cleaned too.

No other ammo would do this. I checked with micrometers and the brass was swelling in the chamber. I had to quit using them.

Probably the high pressure is swelling the Nitro brass too.

Bowguy

Seriously that's what nitros do. They stick in many guns n blow the chokes out of many others. The only guy I know who still uses them shortened his gun by blowing the barrel twice. Use what you want but doesn't the negatives worry you

Red Clay

I have a 10 ga bps. I was shooting nitros but they would not eject. Over pressure was the cause as determined by a respectable gun smith who had to dissasemble the gun to get one hull out. He polished the chamber but it happened again.
I switched over to federal hw and I have not looked back.

sixbird

I had a Pardner (NEF) that I shot Nitro's out of. Had a couple that stuck. Didn't pay it too much attention until one day I grabbed the gun and it felt loose. Started examining it and realized that the pin holding the barrel on was bent. Sent it to NEF and they replaced it. That was the last time I shot it!
Asked Ray about it and he said he had some hulls that were bad or a hot batch of powder, been so long ago that I don't recall which it was but think it was powder.
Be careful with the hot stuff. That gun isn't the epitome of strength or design...

tha bugman

I had this happen the other day on the range with Mag Blends and Triple Beard in my 835.  I deep cleaned it yesterday.  I will probably shoot a triple beard out of it this afternoon as a check round then clean again.
Quote from: Mike Honcho on February 23, 2016, 08:45:30 PM
If you kept the spent hulls and have access to digital micrometers you could measure the diameter  of the brass.

I had  a Mossberg 835 , a newer model, that 3 1/2" mag blends would stick in...chamber was deep cleaned too.

No other ammo would do this. I checked with micrometers and the brass was swelling in the chamber. I had to quit using them.

Probably the high pressure is swelling the Nitro brass too.