OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Point of impact

Started by soky, February 20, 2016, 12:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soky

I was wanting to see if I could get some other opinions on this pattern before I go out and buy a set of aftermarket sights. This is the only gun I've checked poa/poi like this so I'm not real sure what you can get away with. This was at 30 feet and to me it looks a little high. Let me know what you think

Happy

If you hold on the wattles that's a dead turkey. Wouldn't feel bad about that but I would check it a 40 to be sure.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

decoykrvr

Get some adjustable sights.  The POA/POI deviation will increase w/ distance and you don't want a situation which requires you to "think" a different POA for a myriad of distances and shooting scenarios.
If your posted shot was actually 30 feet ( 10 Yards ) you will shoot over most birds past 25 yards.  Not Good!!

OldSchool

Did you shoot just the one pattern, or more to confirm that you're shooting high?

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

soky

I shot more than one. They matched within half of an inch so I guess it's time to start looking into sights. Nothing like dropping a couple thousand on something that won't shoot straight lol

KPcalls

What's it look like at 40 ?

soky

I didn't shoot it at 40 yet. We haven't had very good weather to shoot in so I have had to put off the actual patterning. Some of the threads that I have read online say the best way to check poi/poa is to shoot within 10 yards. Would I benefit more from checking poi at 40 yards?

KPcalls

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it until I shot a couple at 40. If it were just a little high at 10 I could live with that.

vaturkey

Most of the time it's the aftermarket choke tube that makes your gun shoot off . Have you tried the factory tube in it ?
Vaturkey

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: soky on February 21, 2016, 10:19:40 PM
I shot more than one. They matched within half of an inch so I guess it's time to start looking into sights. Nothing like dropping a couple thousand on something that won't shoot straight lol

What gun is it?  A lot of higher end guns shoot a 70/30 pattern.  Basically allowing for birds flying up and away or straight towards you as in driven birds or landing birds.   If its shooting within a half inch of every shot, believe me, its shokting straight!!   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

soky

Quote from: vaturkey on February 22, 2016, 07:54:55 AM

Most of the time it's the aftermarket choke tube that makes your gun shoot off . Have you tried the factory tube in it ?

I shot it a couple of times when I first bought it with the factory tubes and they were a touch right but dead on up and down. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of those.

turkeywhisperer935

Before I bought after market sights I would shoot at 40 at a turkey head and neck target and aim at the wattles. To me that's the best aiming point on a bird anyway because they don't move like the neck and head does. I had an 870 one time that I had to put a red dot on because you had to aim right at the birds head. I set it up with the red dot to shoot at the wattles and it was over then. I'd just try and see.

forcercon1

Try different factory chokes and see if you get the same results. Also, consider adjusting the stock to assist with the issue.

Sealbilly

At least it is good right and left.  If it's not to high at 40 I wouldn't worry much about it.  Mine shoots higher than yours and will definitely have to put a bigger bead on the front or rifle sights on it to get it dead on.

And I feel your pain on dropping a grand on a gun that doesn't shoot perfect poa to poi?   A 60/40 pattern is as high as any gun that isn't a trap gun should ever shoot.  Over constriction can cause your patterns to float around a little too, so if someone has a more open tube you could borrow it would be worth shooting a couple of rounds through.  Also try different shells.  My 835 shoots a tad low with every shell in the world but 3" #5 supremes and they shoot dead on.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Happy on February 20, 2016, 04:35:49 PM
If you hold on the wattles that's a dead turkey. Wouldn't feel bad about that but I would check it a 40 to be sure.
X2