Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Striker conditioning

Started by anthonyjhallen, February 19, 2016, 06:49:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyjhallen

I have been turkey hunting for about 30 years and I still have problems with some of my strikers.

What do you do to yours?  I have tried everything from sandpaper to burning to soaking them in the rain and only a few are worth using.

What say you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

hookedspur

Quote from: Roost 1 on February 19, 2016, 06:55:53 AM
I use scotch brite on mine.

This is all I do as well.
Not a lot just enough to clean it when it gets slick.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

eddie234

X3

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

wvmntnhick

Quote from: eddie234 on February 19, 2016, 08:54:33 AM
X3

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
X4. I'd also recommend getting some custom strikers. I've found them to be much better than th mass produced stuff. Not to toot their horn again nor to distract from people who sell on this site but tylersburg yelpers makes a striker called an ugly stick. It's got an ipe tip. Took some sanding to get it right but it sounds good on just about everything I put it on now. It's killer on aluminum and glass. It'll reach out and touch them for sure.

anthonyjhallen

Perhaps I was over thinking it.

What about using a different striker with different surfaces?  I don't think I have but one that will play half way decent on multiple calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie234

I carry a number of strikers, I normally carry four pots. My dymond wood striker works good on all of them

wvmntnhick

Well, I'll say this. While custom strikers are nice, primos also makes a couple good ones. I've found that their bamboozled striker is a good one. For mass produced strikers, those are about the only ones I'll carry anymore.

Roost 1

That Primos Lucky striker is a good one too..

wvmntnhick

Think my buddy has one of those but not sure. I used to be pretty die hard when it came to the primos brand. Doesn't feel the same since they've sold out.