OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Getting ready.  (Read 6294 times)

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Getting ready.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 07:46:51 AM »
Beautiful weather here at the moment. Took advantage of it yesterday and walked in the woods behind the house with my vest and practicing a few calls. Birds had to be gobbling this morning. We are officially under 1 month in SC for our private land opener.

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Re: Getting ready.
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »

My vest-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the best way to preserve a wing? I suck at cuttin them off haha

I carried one last year for about a week,it started smellin pretty bad so it had to go.

I used borox apparently not enough or not the right way

I use the lower portion of the wing, just clip it at the last joint where the wings spread out then remove that flap of skin so your just left with the portion of the wing that has the primary feathers.  You should only have a little bit of flesh to deal with, trim any excess you can and borax it and let it sit and sit and sit and sit.  I let them dry for several months if I can, just keep them on a piece of cardboard with the fleshy end covered in borax.  Never use salt, it will only cure it and not dry it like borax.  The wings I use are hen wings from a fall bird, i like the hen wing because it has much different sound than a gobbler wing.  If you flap both together you notice the difference, plus the hen wing is more compact. 

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »
Beautiful weather here at the moment. Took advantage of it yesterday and walked in the woods behind the house with my vest and practicing a few calls. Birds had to be gobbling this morning. We are officially under 1 month in SC for our private land opener.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Heard one gobble one time behind my house Friday morning while letting our dog out.  Next door neighbor keeps a feeder at the very end of his yard in the woods and has been seeing 30-40 behind his house, shame we live within city limits  :fud:

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »
Can ya bowhunt?

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Getting ready.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 08:42:56 PM »
Now the wait!

Sent from the Strut Zone
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Getting ready.
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 10:32:10 PM »
You buy your KS tags yet ? They raised the price a good bit compared to last year?

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
Getting ready.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 09:04:45 AM »
Can ya bowhunt?

I wish we could.  My neighbor and  I both would have killed a lot of nice deer and turkeys.  I just enjoy the pics he gets.