turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke for 535

Started by SpringFever, March 30, 2011, 11:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringFever

Looking for best choke options for my 20" barrel moss 535. With the help of some ppl on here I have the ssx .643 and carlson .660.

I have hevi13 6's and 7's on order as well and have a box of win supreme elites also to try.

Any other suggestions? or do you think between these 2 I will be good? Im not looking for 300+ numbers in a 10" circle like some guys have on here. But I do want confidence in a 50 yard shot.
200+ would be nice. Any thoughts please share!

:gobble:

kaintuck

be careful of any after market chokes with this gun. my experience was a shot that blew out a piece of a aftermarket choke. gunsmith told me threads were off center in the barrel ,called gun manufacturer and was told by rep that warranty would be void with any choke used other than one supplied with gun let me know how it works with you
silent water runs deep

JPD298

In my 535 I'm shooting an Indian Creek 660 with 3.5" Hevi Mag Blend an I'm getting 200-205 in the 10" at 40 yards with a nice even pattern. Hope it helps

chatterbox

I shoot a JH .660 out of my 535 and I'm getting 180+ in a 10" circle@ 40 with 3-2-6- hevi.

VAHUNTER

i would suggest trying a choke between .660 and .670 constriction. Pure Gold would be my first choice. if you contact Progunner (aka Bill) on here he can set you up with any size you want to try.
i would not get cought up in the #'s game. if you can get 150 + at 40yds. you will have a turkey killer. with H13 #6's i would expect 160 - 200 with a unpolished barrel. with H13#7's i would expect 200 - 250
Good things come to those who wait

SpringFever

Ya I shouldnt worry about numbers. at the end of the day im a turkey hunter and want that tom dead from 40-50 yards if hes hung up out there!

Crappiepro

I use the Kicks Gobblin Thunder in .665 with Winchester High Velosity #5 shot. I dont know what the numbers are but the pattern is awesome at 40 yards and has been a proven killer at that range for me. Good Luck Crappiepro

lking

Mossy 535 with a PG .670 consistently put up 260's in my gun shooting Hevi 3x2x7's.

3.5inchpainfulldeath

I shoot an ssx in my 535 ATS and with h13 3.5 2.25 #7s.  Best pattern in 10 at 40 yards was 352.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SpringFever on March 30, 2011, 11:54:12 AM
Looking for best choke options for my 20" barrel moss 535. With the help of some ppl on here I have the ssx .643 and carlson .660.

I have hevi13 6's and 7's on order as well and have a box of win supreme elites also to try.

Any other suggestions? or do you think between these 2 I will be good? Im not looking for 300+ numbers in a 10" circle like some guys have on here. But I do want confidence in a 50 yard shot.
200+ would be nice. Any thoughts please share!

:gobble:
I had that same gun until quite recently when I let a friend have it.

You should be able to do quite well with one or both of those chokes and those shells. I do recommend that you "deep clean" your bore.

All my best this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

whiskey

Mine is shooting very well with the factory X factor choke at .670. I am shooting Hevi blends and the pattern is very nice at 40. I did not count holes, I didn't need to. It was even and dense.

SpringFever

wow! very encouraging to see what you guys are getting with your 535's! Cant wait to give mine a whirl!   :jackson:

njdevilsb

That 352 hit target got me excited to get out and shoot since I have a 535 with a 20" barrel as well.  I just got an SSX this week to try out, along with an Indian Creek, which hopefully doesn't split.

mossybird

My 535 uses a .660 Indian Creek because I shoot lead. With Hevi I would go with a .675 Indian creek .