OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Storing valuable trumpets

Started by Terry, June 14, 2017, 09:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gergg

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 14, 2017, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: ol bob on June 14, 2017, 03:45:16 PM
They need to be kept where you have constant humidity many of the most expensive woods will crack with changing humidity. also its not good for Ivory.

What percentage humidity are we talking here?  My calls are in the same room as my gun cabinet so I have a dehumidifier in there.  It's a basement room with no windows.  It fluctuates from 35% to 50% in there.  I hope someone can answer this.  I just moved to a new house so I'm unfamiliar with what to expect.

Hey Allen....35% is a little low, ideally I would keep the room between 40-50% humidity. You know I build acoustic guitars, my build/storage room is kept at 45% year-round. I'm not sure it is as critical with a trumpet as a guitar, a guitar has a closed/glued box that shrinks and expands with humidity changes causing stress and subsequent cracks. I am always more concerned with low humidity...below 40%....as this will surely cause damage in a guitar and might as well with a trumpet. But the trumpet has more freedom to move due to the type of construction so I bet it would be less likely to crack, although I could see prolonged 35% or less humidity causing damage.....I keep mine in the guitar room...lol
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

KentuckyHeadhunter

Thank you for that answer Greg.  I know you would know and a turkey call IS a musical instrument.  I'll back off on the dehumidifier and monitor the levels.  Thanks again.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

perrytrails

Quote from: gergg on June 14, 2017, 06:56:25 PM
Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 14, 2017, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: ol bob on June 14, 2017, 03:45:16 PM
They need to be kept where you have constant humidity many of the most expensive woods will crack with changing humidity. also its not good for Ivory.

What percentage humidity are we talking here?  My calls are in the same room as my gun cabinet so I have a dehumidifier in there.  It's a basement room with no windows.  It fluctuates from 35% to 50% in there.  I hope someone can answer this.  I just moved to a new house so I'm unfamiliar with what to expect.

Hey Allen....35% is a little low, ideally I would keep the room between 40-50% humidity. You know I build acoustic guitars, my build/storage room is kept at 45% year-round. I'm not sure it is as critical with a trumpet as a guitar, a guitar has a closed/glued box that shrinks and expands with humidity changes causing stress and subsequent cracks. I am always more concerned with low humidity...below 40%....as this will surely cause damage in a guitar and might as well with a trumpet. But the trumpet has more freedom to move due to the type of construction so I bet it would be less likely to crack, although I could see prolonged 35% or less humidity causing damage.....I keep mine in the guitar room...lol

Great info here, should be a sticky. 
I can tell a change in my box calls through out the year.

turkeyfanatic

Someone might have mentioned this............I would rub them down with museum wax also known as renaissance wax each year.

Trumpetyelper

I keep mine in this case which was purchased at a local auction house for $50. I do apply renaissance wax to them annually.

Jbird22

Quote from: Trumpetyelper on July 07, 2017, 12:21:59 PM
I keep mine in this case which was purchased at a local auction house for $50. I do apply renaissance wax to them annually.

:drool: ... Awesome collection of trumpets!

Bennett

Great collection trumpetyelper!

nitro

Dayum!!!! Very nice collection.

Quote from: Trumpetyelper on July 07, 2017, 12:21:59 PM

Royal Slam 2008

Terry

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk