OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What kind of equipment are you fellers using?  (Read 4075 times)

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
What kind of equipment are you fellers using?
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:07:44 PM »
I am using my Clint Corder and Dale Riddle friction calls. Guns will be rotated. 835, BPS, 1200, 870 Supermag,870 20g, 870 28g and Encore 12g muzzle-loading turkey gun.

Offline TN Beard Buster

Re: What kind of equipment are you fellers using?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »
Same gun and shells as last year, unless I get me a Versamax.. I'll be using my Dead End Game Calls with a few of my custom calls thrower in the mix!! Oh, and my DSD's.

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:24:09 PM »
David Halloran calls and Mossberg 835 with ATI shot force adjustable stock and Tru Glo gobble stopper optics Carlson Longbeard XR choke shooting Winchester 3" #6 shot Longbeard XR's

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Offline TNTRKYHunter

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:09:53 AM »
I bought a David halloran twisted sister call at the convention that I hope will lead to the demise of some gobblers this spring. I will also be using wood haven and primos mouth calls. Remington 870 12 g loaded with 2oz of TSS, looking forward to a great spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:52:05 PM by TNTRKYHunter »

Offline Jwall

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
I run a Roberts brothers pot call, david hallorans twisted sister and box call and gonna try some hooks and gooserbat mouth calls that I got at the convention. I'll shoot either my 870 with a tru glo gobble stopper or my franchi affinity with Indian creek choke. I'll be shooting a mix of hevi shot shells depending on what gun I choose that day

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »
I run my own calls I built myself, I use an 835 loaded with #5 long beards or my little mossy 500 in 20 gauge loaded with federal heavyweight #7 s.

Offline TN Beard Buster

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 11:48:57 PM »
Well. Since my last post, I've added a new gun to the arsenal. I picked up an 870 20 ga. I received my Indian Creek choke today and my Camo Skin kit should be here mi week. Win. XX 5's will hopefully crack a head or two. I also got a new tube call this week. Cmon April 2nd!!

Offline Jwall

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »
Quick question gentleman. Do any of you guys run a trumpet or wingbone call and if so what do you think? I am thinking about picking one up before this season to try out.

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »
HUNTAHOLIC uses a trumpet a lot.
Maybe he will be on later and give you his thoughts.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

Offline Huntaholic

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 03:29:22 PM »
Team member checking in! Ive got to figure out how to add our banner to my sigline though. As far as trumpets go, Im a firm believer in a yelper, I use a Turpin but any of the better quality ones should work too. I don't know what it is, but Ive called up and killed birds with a yelper that completely ignored everything else I had in  my vest. I have become so confident in it that if I could only have ONE call, it would be a yelper.

Offline TN Beard Buster

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:51:50 PM »
To answer the question about trumpets. My take is this. I've started using trumpets and tubes a few years ago. The good thing about them are, one, not many people use them and not many birds have heard them. If you hunt public ground like I do, you hear every call that Walmart sells and they ain't used that well in some cases. I practice and get proficient with the trumpet and tube and give the birds something totally different in tone and pitch. Timberjack hunts some of the same areas i do and mostly uses a wingbone. They're just another secret weapon in my arsenal that I don't go to the woods without!! I do use other calls too. Boxes, pot calls, and diaphragms as I'm on Prostaff with Dead End Game Calls, but I still like to add something extra occasionally.

Offline Jwall

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 08:59:44 PM »
I appreciate all the info. Sounds like I lucked up and got in on a team of pro turkey hunters. I need to come hang with some of y'all and maybe learn a thing or two

Offline TN Beard Buster

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 10:23:42 PM »
I in no way am a pro!! I just wanna learn everything I can about my passion!! I've been doing this for going on 31 years and I always learn something new all the time!! You can come to Tullahoma and we can talk turkey all you want jwall.

Offline Jwall

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:27:48 PM »
I in no way am a pro!! I just wanna learn everything I can about my passion!! I've been doing this for going on 31 years and I always learn something new all the time!! You can come to Tullahoma and we can talk turkey all you want jwall.
Where at in Tullahoma? I used to spend some time in Estill Springs

Offline TN Beard Buster

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 10:32:06 PM »
I live just off Wilson Ave, which is basically hwy 55 to Lynchburg. I work for AT&T from 7-4 Monday-Friday. Send me a pm with your info and we'll chat sometime. My name is Kevin Currin.