OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How do I "caw"?  (Read 3606 times)

autoxr84

How do I "caw"?
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:54 AM »
I was just wondering how to "caw" the right way to hear some gobblers.  I tried it out for the first time this past Sunday and got nothing but other crows.  Which in turn produced a gobbler to let himself be heard.   :you_rock:  So what would be the best sequence to hear the turkey answer back?

Offline YoungJake

Re: How do I "caw"?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
i cant give you the answer to your question, but im very interested in what others have to say on this issue. so, i'd like to put this up to the top!

Offline KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »
I have a Buckner crow call and I use his youtube video to practice up on my calling.

http://youtu.be/Ur_cpskKapE

Offline CASH

• Legendary
  • Global Moderator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
Just being LOUD works best for me.  I don't think the turkeys care if you sound like a crow or not.  It's the volume that I've found makes them shock gobble
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Offline MarkJM

• The Boss Gobbler
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »
the gobblers will go off almost eveerytime when I get load and throughty. Try almost hawking a loogy when you call witohut actually hawking a loogy. go fooo fooo fooo fo fo fo fo fooo fooo. The O's are making a few sound.
MuellerCustomCalls

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »
Volume is good unless you are close and you may run off a turkey. With any call, turkey or locator, I like to start off soft and build up to loud and aggressive if I don't get a response. The sequence that has worked best for me is two or three sharp higher pitched bursts follow by a couple of raspier, aggressive notes that you drag out for a longer duration similar to the cadence suggested by Mark. Caw, caw, caw,..caaawwww, caaawwww. To get the aggressive notes, i flutter my throat and/or tongue like rolling a hoot owl note or aggressive purring on a mouth call.

Offline ncturkey

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Go hunting and Fishing
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
I like that Michael video.