Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

All dailed in

Started by dirt road ninja, February 13, 2016, 09:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

Dialed in the turkey guns today. The 12 is throwing a death ray of 2.25 oz's of TSS #9's and the 20 is shooting the 1.625 oz load of 9's. I've tried a few chokes out the 20 and settled on the IC .555. Was worried about close shots, but tried one at 20 yards and had ample wiggle room at that distance. Might shoot each one once more if I go with a buddy to shoot his, but it isn't necessary they are ready to hunt! The 12 will be my primary weapon, but I'm not giving up much carrying the 20. Performance wise it throws a better pattern than my 12 ever did shooting the 2 7/16 7's from Nitro. I wish I'd started loading this stuff long ago!

WV Ridge Reaper

And no pictures ? Get out of here !!!

I'm like you...with the 555 in my 20 good amount of room in my 20 yard target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

The last one is at 20 yards. About a 15 inch wide pattern. Davisd9's IC put up higher number in my gun than in his. I bought my own, but didn't duplicate the density. Probably a good thing as I was worrying about being too tight. Was cooler and windy, but they are tuned up. Shot a few more that I won't post......

davisd9

You are ready! I am hoping to get mine fine tuned here soon. Hard to plan with the weather mood swings we are having. I will be ready soon though!

I can hear them gobbling now!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

OldSchool

I wouldn't wanna be a turkey in your neck of the woods. :icon_thumright:

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

trkehunr93

We got more snow today, seeing lots and lots of robins, that usually means warm weather!  so hopefully the 60 degree high for this coming Saturday will allow me to do some shooting to fine tune my scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trkehunr93

been thinking about getting into reloading, i have tons of shotshells that have only been fired once, 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2".  any insight you can provide?  Great looking pattern!  :icon_thumright:

dirt road ninja

Jim, technically I handload not reload. New primed hulls are utilized, but it is a very simple process. Tools needed are a scale, roll crimper, drill press, and depending on the load a hobby knife. I'm no expert, but would be happy to tell you everything I know about it. PM me if your interested.

davisd9

The handloading is very simple to do, I wish I would have started years ago.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

OldSchool

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 16, 2016, 02:42:35 PM
been thinking about getting into reloading, i have tons of shotshells that have only been fired once, 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2".  any insight you can provide?  Great looking pattern!  :icon_thumright:

That's something I should have gotten into years ago myself. I don't shoot enough these days to be worth it at this point.

Bob
Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.