OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: "New" Longbeard Loadings  (Read 8013 times)

Online Neill_Prater

• The Boss Gobbler
"New" Longbeard Loadings
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:55:40 AM »
I'm curious if anyone has done any comparisons between the original Winchester Longbeard loads and the newer offerings which have a 1/8 oz heavier payload?

Offline Quackwacker NC

Re: "New" Longbeard Loadings
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 06:26:59 PM »
I'm also wondering the same thing, I have plenty of the old but wondering if the heavier loads are any better

Offline wytrat785

• Topeka, KS
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:36:06 PM »
If the weather forecast holds out like they say, 70s and sunny for Saturday, I plan on shooting these along with some triple beards to test some patterns. Also got a couple of new chokes to check out also. Should be fun and Spring can't get here soon enough!

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:48:48 PM »
If the weather forecast holds out like they say, 70s and sunny for Saturday, I plan on shooting these along with some triple beards to test some patterns. Also got a couple of new chokes to check out also. Should be fun and Spring can't get here soon enough!

I'll be looking forward to your results with both!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:26:54 PM »
I wonder if the rebates include triple beard
Lol that would be a deal

Offline worth612000

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
The lighter load more f.p.s. The heavier load slower with more pellets. Your choice.

Offline turkeywhisperer935

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
Bet the slower will pattern better.

Offline worth612000

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:40 PM »
I haven't tried them due to all my stocked ammo. But would grab a box of the 1 7/8 #6 first. I 've came very close several times on grabbing a box.

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
I wonder if the rebates include triple beard
Lol that would be a deal

I believe that Winchester has longbeards and Hevi-Shot has Triple Beard so the same rebate would probably not hold true.

Offline wytrat785

• Topeka, KS
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »

I'll be looking forward to your results with both!

Posted up some patterns I shot today with LB mags.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,60400.0.html

Offline maytom

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 02:42:28 AM »
Interested in the 3" 1 7/8oz. load of #4's.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 06:30:39 PM »
I shot the heavier 3" load tonight. My gun shoots the reg load pretty well but the mags are def better. Not one single thin spot, dense yet with a little room for comfort. Once the reg loads are gone Itd gonna be the mags in the gun. Ithaca Turkeyslayer w factory .675 choke. Tried an Indian creek .665 n it was not as good

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »
I haven't tried them due to all my stocked ammo. But would grab a box of the 1 7/8 #6 first. I 've came very close several times on grabbing a box.

I didn't really notice a difference except the 1 3/4oz had more gaps than the 1 7/8oz. pellet numbers were very close. I don't really understand why someone said that the heavier load should have more pellets. im not super shell savy.... does 1 3/4oz mean the load has 1 3/4oz total of pellets in the shell?
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »
At this point I have fired literally several hundred of the WLB shells in both 1 3/4 oz and 1 7/8 oz of #6 shot. I did some work last year for a company that was designing a new turkey choke for those shells and it required a lot of range time with both of them. I shot at least 50 rounds at each session.

The 1 7/8 oz shell consistently turned in more even patterns. The real difference centers on the muzzle velocity and not the payload. While one starts out with a higher m.v. they both are very similar in terminal velocity at 40 yards. The faster shell slows down more quickly and that can disrupt the pattern. Both will have about the same retained energy, so you give up nothing by shooting the slower shells with more shot payload. There also seem to be fewer incidents of the resin not fracturing with the heavier payloads, so it's a win-win situation.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
At this point I have fired literally several hundred of the WLB shells in both 1 3/4 oz and 1 7/8 oz of #6 shot. I did some work last year for a company that was designing a new turkey choke for those shells and it required a lot of range time with both of them. I shot at least 50 rounds at each session.

The 1 7/8 oz shell consistently turned in more even patterns. The real difference centers on the muzzle velocity and not the payload. While one starts out with a higher m.v. they both are very similar in terminal velocity at 40 yards. The faster shell slows down more quickly and that can disrupt the pattern. Both will have about the same retained energy, so you give up nothing by shooting the slower shells with more shot payload. There also seem to be fewer incidents of the resin not fracturing with the heavier payloads, so it's a win-win situation.

Thanks,
Clark

thank you for this. ive been looking for this answer for a long time. since I couldn't find the answer and the 1 7/8oz #6s are harder to find I just settled and bought 1 3/4oz. I must say the first box I owned was 1 7/8oz because they were sold out of everything else and it patterned better than the 1 3/4 oz...no necessarily in numbers but in spacing
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."