OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dymondwood or laminate?

Started by packmule, February 07, 2016, 09:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

I'm new to scratch boxes this year and really liking them.  Just curious if anyone has tried dymondwood or laminate products for a scratch box striker?  In my limited exposure to them I haven't noticed those being used?  Just curious as to why, or why not.
Thanks in advance.

SS Calls

I've tried it. It sounds good. My guess for people not using it for scratcher strikers is they hate to cut it up for that purpose since it's so expensive.

packmule

Excellent, thanks for the info Al, make sense.

packmule

Do you think it would work, or have you tried it for a sound board?  That would be one good looking scratcher!

SS Calls

Quote from: packmule on February 08, 2016, 12:42:14 AM
Do you think it would work, or have you tried it for a sound board?  That would be one good looking scratcher!

I've never tried it for a sound board. I've never had any wide enough for one.

packmule

Interesting, I have a piece laying around in my garage somewhere that I used to cut knife handles out of.  Probably 8 inches long and 4 or 6 inches wide.  I'll have to look to see if I can find it.  When I was buying it for that purpose it was sold as "Pakkawood" instead of dymondwood....

West Augusta

I bought one from Tom Crook a few years ago at Nashville.  I'll try to get a picture later this week.  I have my calls all packed up to move right now.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

packmule

West Augusta

Sorry it took so long to find it. Moving isn't fun when you have to find stuff that's packed away.

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

eorlando

Steve that looks pretty sweet.

packmule

Thanks for posting that Steve.  That is one fine looking scratcher.  How does it sound? 

West Augusta

It's a little harder to run that a wood sound board but if you run it at the right angle on the striker, it sounds very good.

packmule

Dr Juice

That's a real nice looking call. Good luck with it.  :gobble: