OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Conditioning pot calls

Started by ThunderChickenHunter21, February 07, 2016, 08:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenHunter21

Is there different things to use to condition different types of pots? What's better to use with glass and copper if there are. Thanks for any info

mote1977

I like a stone or drywall screen on my glass/crystal and the maroon colored scotch brite on my copper and most metal calls. I prefer this type of stone.

eddie234

I have a primos slick stick and an unused plastic snuff can with drywall screen, maroon and green scotch brite, extra rubber bands and a few other call condition things.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Clardh

Do you guys continue to condition with a stone on crystal/ glass or do you switch to sandpaper after your original stone conditioning?

Jbird22

Glass/Crystal - I prefer drywall screen over a stone
Slate - green scothbrite
Copper - initially aluminum oxide sandpaper then green scotchbrite for touching up
Aluminum - nothing but alcohol pads if it's anodized, 220 grit sandpaper if not

ThunderChickenHunter21

How often do you touch it up?  Does sound quality change or just look of it and you'll know?

Thundermtn

I just touch mine up with a stone when they start to get a little slick. I run mostly glass and crystal though. Green scotch bright on my slates. I'm bad about finding a sweet spot and wearing it out. Usually have to touch mine up everyday or I'll polish little j's and oval's in them.

tomstopper

I agree with the above mentioned but also if you have a ceramic, I would only use alcohol pads on it as well.

Jbird22

Quote from: ThunderChickenHunter21 on February 07, 2016, 09:59:02 PM
How often do you touch it up?  Does sound quality change or just look of it and you'll know?
A little of both honestly.

Stump.270

I constantly condition glass with stone and 120 grit sandpaper I feel the more it's conditioned the better rasp it gets drywall screen works good I use 400 sandpaper on slate or scotch Brite aluminum clean with alchohol and scotch rite and chalk the striker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk