OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: We all got kids future turkey hunters?  (Read 3987 times)

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
We all got kids future turkey hunters?
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:16:57 PM »
My 3. Can't wait to put them behind a gun with me.

Offline jepcho

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:47:54 PM »

Here's my clan. The oldest 2 are pretty good with a bb gun and they all have shown a lot of interest in going. My wife just loves it when I'm cleaning ducks on the porch and they start picking birds up and taking them inside to show mommy when I'm not looking, lol. I'm planning on possibly taking the 9 year old girl this fall for youth deer season, we will see if she is ready or not

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Gumby

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:17:49 PM »
Two girls for me. Been teaching them to run pots and trumpets for the past couple years. Drives the wife crazy! Haven't taken them turkey hunting yet but the 8 year old will hit the deer woods with me next year.

Offline kdsberman

Re: We all got kids future turkey hunters?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 09:53:27 PM »
I have a 7 month old boy, definitely cant wait to get him in the turkey woods.  Might be a while.  Probably one of the biggest things im looking forward to though.

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:12:50 PM »
I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow. I have a 7 year old boy, 5 year old and 3 year old girls (the 3 year old will be 4 Feb. 18,) and a 3 month old boy. No more for me. The first 3 are 18 months between each one and then a little bit longer between the last one due to a very scary birth of our 3rd, where I almost lost my wife and baby girl.

To say my days can be interesting is an understatement.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 01:01:31 AM »
Here is my oldest son with his first ever fish.  Ill have to say I was happy he caught it, but not happy he took the biggest one out of the pond before I could :) This was about 3 years ago, so old photo really.

This is my younger son, he is obsessive with fishing and riding in boats.

Neither one of them seem interested too much in the turkey game.  Both think I am crazy when I pull out my pot calls and they typically scamper off to the other end of the house along with my dog and wife.  They both like shooting their bb gun, and ill let them shoot a single shot .22 when I go home to Florida for vacations. Maybe a few more years.... Honestly though I dont even know how yall can get your kids to sit still enough for turkey.  I will have to use a blind to take them.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline wmn2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 08:00:18 AM »

Here's the family picture from this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WNCTracker

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 08:07:36 AM »

Honestly though I dont even know how yall can get your kids to sit still enough for turkey.  I will have to use a blind to take them.

I took my son out scouting for turkeys about two weeks before the opener last year and he was six years old and he definitely could not sit still. We saw three toms so I told him that we would pretend hunt them. I gave him a stick to use as a gun. He made it about five minutes before he started trying to stand up to get a better look and started squirming. I ended up laying on top of him in a Fencerow holding his head still with my hands until they got within close enough range for him to take A shot with his stick :-) I decided then that we would definitely need a blind before he comes along for the real thing

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »
Sounds about right. I definitely could not bring both. They would be bickering and trying to fight with sticks the entire time.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline ILHUNTER

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
Here are my 2 kids.  My boy turned 10 last October and my little girl will be 4 in April.  My boy went on his first turkey hunt last year and he did good and is ready to go again.  My daughter is still a little young but she talks about it all the time

Offline jepcho

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 08:39:48 PM »
I think hunting out of a blind is almost a must with any kid under the age of probably 11 or 12. 

Offline Flounder

• Field Rep for Collard Patch Camo
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 09:58:52 PM »
Mighty fine looking families! Got one more to get out of college, he's all done in May and starts work shortly after. My oldest is 26 and on her own.
My stepson who graduates eats and sleeps H&F.