turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New to forum and turkey hunting

Started by diesel79, February 05, 2016, 09:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diesel79

Hi all.   I'm new to turkeys and I got bit by the bug pretty hard lately.   I'm going to be hunting them with my bow, which from what I understand will be challenging.

I went all in with a pair of DSD decoys(jake and feeding hen) and a few calls.  So far I have an Albert Paul box, Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen and Outlaw Hen ordered yesterday and I am on the list for a Paul Platz double glass in Walnut and a Cherry Slate(won't have the Platz calls for about a year, also added a 1 pice purpleheart striker to this order).  I also bought a slate over glass in Yellow heart from Koble calls on the Archery Talk forum.

I am looking for a good all around one piece striker.  I am most intrigued by the Torman hollowed out one.  I've read dogwood is awesome with the hot hen.

I have also read great things about Dads diamondwood and monkeywood.  Also Lights Out diamondwood.

Am I on the right track?  Too many good choices and not enough money.  :)

Thanks for any input.

eddie234

First welcome! You'll get lots of answers, my favorite are ones made by Neal Herman, he's on here and makes the gobble stix for hooks. My favorite are his dymondwood and yellowheart

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

diesel79

Thanks!  This site is a wealth of knowledge, and a bank account drainer.  Lol

His yellow heart flare tip looks nice.

SS Calls

tomstopper

:welcomeOG: :wagon: Any of the ones mentioned will work but I am partial to my Lights Out dymondwood. 

Bowguy

Welcome to the site. Check out Harold Fowlers website for some great strikers reasonably priced. You mentioned a couple good builders already. Box calls check out SS or Halloran for very good calls you can get this year at a fair price.
Pots Schafer, MAC, Halloran, Lonzo, SS, Brad Roberts. Many more but those are great starts with none given in any order. Platz is a call you typically wait on. Dawkins  is a very good maker too. Good luck this year. Guys on this site offer great advice and almost anyone can pick stuff up

JLH

John Sinclair has some nice strikers on ebay now....has several colors of dymondwood  and lots of exotics....

Look into a katalox or lignum vite.....they are really nice, very dense and hard woods that will run on anyrhing.

And if you want something special he has a Gaboon ebony on there now, I may pull the trigger on that!

diesel79

Thanks for the welcomes!

I've got some reading to do.  I never realized how many great makers there were until I started digging around on this site.

Jgarrett

Welcome.  Bill Lyman dymondwood and snakewood are the top of the mountain when it comes to strikers, but I don't think he is taking orders right now.  Neal Herman or Jimmy Shaffer make great one piece strikers.  Ernie Fetters makes some of the best sounding pot calls for the money. $35 per call I think.  Get you a good 2 sided call.  Roberts brothers, Pat Strawser, Ed Jenkins, just to name a few make great 2 sided calls
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

diesel79

I've got a Neal Herrman Dymondwood on the way and put on the list for a Steve Torman Dogwood.

Might have to call these two good for now or I'll be broke before I know it.