OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The wait for opening day is rough  (Read 6103 times)

Offline mason3toes

Re: The wait for opening day is rough
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
I really liked the heavyweights thru a SSX. It is without a doubt the superior 20ga manufactured shell out there. With that being said I really enjoy rolling my own and will probably shoot TSS from here on out.

Offline Hooter

• Central TN
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
The Pearl River was dropping, but it turns out that the gun range was still a mucky mess, so no shooting this weekend. Just as well, I got a wild hair and ordered a Carlson's .575" choke tube for the 870 and it should be here in time to include it in next weekend's patterning efforts.

Cheers  ;D

FC
Pearl River Huh?  My Grandfather and Uncles farm lies right next to the Pearl. It is full of Turkeys.
Me and Pop used to go down every year and terrorize them. Now that Pop is gone, I have not been down.
He always loved that place. So much, he wanted to be buried down there.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »
Hooter,

What county is this Turkey Nirvana located of which you speak?

I have had many great hunting spots come and go through the years for one reason or another. I'm trying to get permission right now to be able to get back on a honey hole I found 2 years ago.  Strange how things change.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Hooter

• Central TN
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 12:54:37 AM »
Marion, I think. Not 100% sure on that.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 07:48:12 AM »
I hunted a friend's place on the Pearl between Monticello and Columbia. Took a nice 3 yo.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 05:02:57 PM »
Ooooo man! It's gonna be a monsterously beautimous weekend around these here parts and that means one thing.  The sweet gargling of the Ruby Throated Drummingbird will echo through the soggy bottoms  that he calls home, and I will be there.

See y'all soon.

Update: I heard one gobble 45 times on the limb this morning (Saturday) at about 150 yards, heard him fly down and then he gobbled about 15 more times as he went looking for love in all the right places. Only gobbling I heard this morning.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 01:36:01 PM by FullChoke »

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »
Mississippi season opener is next Tuesday. The woods are coming alive with everything already or just getting ready to bloom. The forecast is for clear skies and a high temperature of 87 degrees!!!    :o  Oh, well.

Barring Armageddon or the Rapture, I will be there.  :icon_thumright:

Cheers

FC

Offline mason3toes

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »
I went this morning to listen and heard several opening up. They are very vocal with this warmer weather. We are getting rain now bad it is goons rain thru Monday which is perfect.

Offline old frank

• Georgia
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
Georgia season starts on Saturday but I can't go until Tuesday or Wednesday.
We had a week of almost 80 degree days and now back down to almost freezing but warming back up next week.
Bass are already going on the bed and biting pretty good. I put my pig hunting on hold as the land I have to hunt requires all the pig/deer feeders to be empty during turkey season. So unless I kill some turkeys early I won't try spot and stalk on the pigs. I turkey hunt on different property but some guys are turkey hunting there.

Probably turkey hunt half a day. hit the pond for a few hours and then back to turkeys in the afternoon and probably a nap in there somewhere.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
Was laying in bed this AM at sun up with the window open.  Gobbling contest going on across the road about 300 yards away.  At least 3 there.  Stepped outside on the porch and heard birds on a roost a little farther south and another roost to the west. 

Still 5 weeks to go.   :'(

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.