North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Plain "Bare" aluminum or annodized aluminum....and list your top three

Started by Jgarrett, February 03, 2016, 08:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jgarrett

Hey guys,
Just wanted to get everyone's opinions on which aluminum they like to run.  I love aluminum as a playing surface, and would used to tell you that annodized was the way to go.....but....I think I have swapped to bare aluminum now.  Got a call or two with that type of surface that play great.  Just wondering what ya'll thought.  Also let's name your top three aluminum calls.

1.  Talking Dirty 2 sider alum/slate :)
2.  Bill Lyman Wenge alum/glass
3. Lonzo acrylic alum/glass
.....close behind is my Brad Roberts walnut alum/glass.....
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

jjnfla

Lonnie mabry aluminum and darrin Dawkins new raw stoned aluminum that thing rocks..

scoot12

Trice black acrylic,  Platz cherry,  Jenkins osage,  Mabry walnut,  Prouty yellowheart and padauk.  I have way to many to list just 3.

Houndstooth Game Calls

Anodized and never owned another but a old super aluminator. Here's mine I build and run. https://youtu.be/UEbNyscj1YA

Double B

Rocking an old Quaker Boy Aluminator.  First pot call I ever used to make em gobble.  Watching this thread for my next two!   I know I prefer old school silver aluminum for sure.  Looking at Enticer silver fox or the little one Al makes. 
Followed by buzzards

Spitten and drummen

1. lonzos black acrylic
2. platz cherry
3. shaffers atomic 13
the platz and schaffer are proven killers and I am 100% positive this black acrylic will be too. first year I have it and its my number 1 aluminum.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

greentag

1. atomic 13(9 hole version)
2.woodhaven vision aluminum
3.atomic 13(8 hole version)
all of these are anodized,the only bare aluminum i have is a real old cane creek so i cant really compare the differences,one thing is that the anodized does'nt load the striker tip up like the raw one,but that may just be mine since i dont have others to compare it to.

WV Ridge Reaper

My first choice is lyles aluminum second choice is Schaffer's 9 hole atomic 13

I have a Platz and Dawkins aluminum but don't hunt em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stump.270

I have a aluminum from Jeff graham that I use 150 sand paper to condition the non anodized part it does not slip my other is a Lonzo yellow heart aluminum over aluminum either one is a keeper the Lonzo does have more of the aluminum sound to it mr.fowler turned me on to jeffs call it's in a amazique pot is can play as soft as a slate I really like both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jgarrett

I will tell you....I was at our farm a while back, calling with some wild-bred turkeys, and out of all the aluminum calls I played to them.  I got the most response out of the Talking Dirty from Supreme Calls.  I also got great responses from the Lonzo Acrylic, and my Lyman Wenge Aluminum, but the Talking Dirty made a noticeable difference.  Just my observations.  That was with me running a Lyman dymondwood, a one-piece purpleheart striker that I have.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida