OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Virginia 2016  (Read 20757 times)

Offline Kwgoke

Re: Virginia 2016
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
I hunted most of the day yesterday and heard nothing, zip, nada... Multiple setups, on two different sections of public land. It was rough. The only thing I heard was a hen go by me at about 70 yds out just clucking as she walked. I did see a gobbler though, in a field... out the window of my truck... as I was driving between spots. Oh well, I got whooped this season since that was my last chance. A couple of close calls and a miss from peeking off the stock. I'll get them next year!

Offline Hookinembig

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2016, 07:47:36 PM »
Last day tomorrow guys and girls. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!

Offline Hookinembig

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »
First of all I want to thank the Lord for keeping my family and I safe during the season. What a tough season. I only heard roost gobbles and can count the number of gobbles on two hands I heard throughout the season. I was only semi able to work one bird and that was on opening day. He gobbled to my neighbors yelp who was sitting on the property line, then I yelped he gobbled I gave him a bit yelped again he gobble then went quiet when he hit the ground until he showed up and worked over the decoy until I shot him. Other than the first day this season was way to close to deer hunting for me. Making sets and cold calling every 15 to 30 minutes staring off into the distance is rough. Called in 7 or 8 hens this season and some with in 5 or 6 feet but no gobblers or even jakes after the first day. Not quite sure what happened to the gobblers once they hit the ground this year. I know there where gobblers around because I heard a least two gobble on Thursday morning. Over all I hunted 11 or 12 days and heard probably 8 or 9 gobbles the whole time. My dad hunted 15 to 16 days and only heard 4 gobbles and that was not until last Thursday and no bird on the ground but also called in multiple hens.

I assume the kill numbers will be down this year and a ton of gobblers got to sit and watch us walk around like fools and learn all of our tricks. So next year could be interesting to say the least. Some records should fall next year with the amount of birds that got the pass this year. Good luck to any of you guys still hunting. Now on to look for some land or a hunt club to join because we are not renewing our current leases due to price increases($1350 a year to $2500 a year) and they are clear cutting the other tract we leased. Let me know if you know of any good hunt clubs in the Central VA(Powhatan/Cumberland) area or land that you guys know of for lease.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:47 AM »
Very optimistic of you but I do agree.

I bid you all in Virginia a farewell. I am moving to Florida in September. Good luck next season and hopefully I can get on some good property down there.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline chow hound

« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2016, 12:48:08 PM »
I had a very tough season, but was fortunate enough to fill my last tag Friday evening.  I got it done via brute force, hunting every day except 2.  I probably only heard about 6 shots all season.  I hope we have a good hatch and things are better next year.  I did see/hear more jakes this year than I did last.  All the birds I killed were at least 3 years old, and I am wondering if the 2 year age class of birds was mostly non-existant.

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
Virginia 2016
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2016, 01:29:38 PM »
I had a very tough season, but was fortunate enough to fill my last tag Friday evening.  I got it done via brute force, hunting every day except 2.  I probably only heard about 6 shots all season.  I hope we have a good hatch and things are better next year.  I did see/hear more jakes this year than I did last.  All the birds I killed were at least 3 years old, and I am wondering if the 2 year age class of birds was mostly non-existant.

I agree with you. Between me and all of my hunting buddies, I only know of a few 2 year olds that were killed. Every other bird was 1 1/4 inch plus Spurs 20+ lbs and 10+ inch beards. I came up one tag short but also called 4 more to their death that I couldn't have killed had I been alone and not calling for someone else. I also killed my longest spurred bird to date, 1 5/8", so even though it was a slow year, I guess I can't complain too much.