turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Virginia 2016

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 02, 2016, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vahunter5

Wow. I feel blessed! I've hunted 21 days heard thousands of gobbles seen and called in around 31 birds in Craig, Co. , Floyd, Co.  And Dickenson, Co.
I'm tagged out. I tagged out opening week. My 15 yo, my 10 yo, my wife and my dad has all killed birds I've called in. 3 birds were killed in Craig, co. 4 killed in Floyd county, my buddy that hunts and films with me killed 2 in floyd, co.
I have not had luck hearing or seeing any on properties we hunt in Botetourt, Bedford or Roanoke County.
Dickenson, County was full last week of hungry longbeards coming to calls. Floyd is now henned up and not responding.

Hookinembig

My dad hunted this morning in Appomattox and called in 3 hens separately. No gobblers seen or heard. Still slow. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Hookinembig

Possibly skunked again. I may have heard one gobble this morning about 9:45 a.m. but I think it was my mind playing tricks on me. I did call in a hen and she came in within 3 yards so that was pretty neat while sitting in the open. We did see one other hen/jake in a food plot but that was it for my brother and I. Another tough morning in the woods.

357MAGNOLE

Same here man. It was shut down out my way. I did hear one gobble around 7:30 but it was more than 400 yards off and I wasn't certain on direction.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

spursRus

I hunted Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings, heard a total of 2 gobbles. I did see 3 different longbeards on Saturday, all 3 were henned up. Getting beyond frustrating. I keep waiting for it to "turn on" but it's getting awful late for that to happen.

357MAGNOLE

I heard a few distant ones today. Once again, I am not in the right place at the right time. One was clear on the other side of a small lake. Since I heard him ore good around 10-10:30 I packed up and drove around. Got to where he was and now nothing..... Seriously  :angry9:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

vabeardhunter

Hunted my backside off for three days in the hot and muggy, rain, thunder and lightning, fog and sometimes cool weather. Only to not hear one turkey sound at all. The only excitement was seeing a hen in the bottom of the field pulling in after church. (the Lord has a strange sense of humor sometimes)haha
From what I'm reading and hearing, it seems a lot are having the same tough time. Sure is a night and day difference from last year. Last year I couldn't decide which way to head out because birds were cobbling everywhere, this year, can't decide which way to go because they all have lock jaw! All in all, no place I'd rather be than chasing these birds in the spring of the year... Good luck to all and congrats to those who have been successful already!

Hookinembig

My dad was able to get out this morning, he said he may have heard a distant gobble around 11:30 a.m. but other than that all was quiet other than the awesome rain. Hopefully tomorrow will make them turn loose. I am going to head out this evening and see if we can roost one.

357MAGNOLE

Nothing for me all morning till 10 and packed it in. I checked 4 different fields, 3 miles worth of logging trails and no birds on them

WAGinVA

Set a blind in Amelia yesterday to take my grandson this am.  Last Saturday we heard two that gobbled fairly well but would not respond and acted as if they were with hens.  I set the blind in the path that the turkeys went down last week, did not hear a peep or see anything (other than a hawk harassing my decoy).

Hookinembig

Another tough one today in the turkey woods. First of all the weather was beautiful but it didn't help the gobblers. Spent the first part of the morning on our lease in Cumberland and it was a baron wasteland with little sign and no gobbling. We then left and headed up to Appomattox. No gobbling to be heard but my dad and I were able to call in a set of hens in to about 10 feet while sitting in the open which was pretty cool. Long warm day and zero gobbles.

357MAGNOLE

Yesterday was garbage here. No gobbles. Seen a few individual hens out in fields when the sun came up. One looked pretty big but about 300 to 400 yards off and I didn't have binos so I thought it might be a gobbler. I went in the tree line 70 or so yards back and worked my way down to about where the "tom" was. Got a good setup on the bottom of a slight ridge so when "he" poked his head over to would be all done. Everything went to plan except the head was that of a hens...... She came over the ridge looking for me and went back where she came from. It was exciting for about 25 minutes :)

crow

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 08, 2016, 09:49:48 AM
Yesterday was garbage here. No gobbles. Seen a few individual hens out in fields when the sun came up. One looked pretty big but about 300 to 400 yards off and I didn't have binos so I thought it might be a gobbler. I went in the tree line 70 or so yards back and worked my way down to about where the "tom" was. Got a good setup on the bottom of a slight ridge so when "he" poked his head over to would be all done. Everything went to plan except the head was that of a hens...... She came over the ridge looking for me and went back where she came from. It was exciting for about 25 minutes :)

:icon_thumright:

Hookinembig

My dad and I were able to get out and hunt most of the day today in Appomattox. Morning started off pretty good by hearing a couple of gobbles from a gobbler around 5:45 a.m. but he was a good distances away so we moved. Got set up and heard him gobble again still a good ways off. So we moved again. We set up and heard him gobble one more time but wouldn't respond to any calls. My dad thought he heard another gobbler to our right but again no response to calls. By 6:10 a.m all was quiet. We setup up multiple times throughout the day and would cold call in different areas for 45 minutes to and hour but nothing else was heard. I assume the gobblers this morning had hens and they took them the opposite direction of our calls. Usually by this time in the season the hens should be on their nests but we have called in several hens in the last several days that obviously were not on their nests. Getting down to the crunch time now boys! Something has to give!

Hookinembig

Was able to get out and hunt this evening(first evening of the year). I figured it was worth a shot. We went to some public land just to try something different. On the last setup I heard two clucks but nothing ever materialized. Looks like we are still in the same pattern. Two days left and weather is not looking to great.