turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Virginia 2016

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 02, 2016, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redmag

I have not heard a bird yet in VA.  I have hunted Clarke CO. and Shenandoah CO.  Tuesday I killed a bird that had not gobbled, I called blindly from a blind made of sticks, etc. and he popped over a rise and strutted to me, still never gobbled.  Talked to a guy this morning and he has not heard any since Saturday when one gobbled during a brief snowstorm.

vabeardhunter

Heard zero birds Sat and four Sun. By 6:45 they went quiet. This is in central VA Louisa county.

Hookinembig

Hunted this morning and heard one bird gobble twice on the roost around 6:20 a.m. then all was quiet, no response to my calls and waited for 3 hours calling periodically and nothing. My brother heard two different birds gobble once each on the roost around 6:30 a.m. then all was quiet. Not sure whats going on right now with the birds once they hit the ground. Hopefully things will change tomorrow morning. We were in Appomattox.

Hookinembig

Hunted again this morning 04/16/2016 only roost gobbling once again. My brother had three birds respond to his calls on the roost and had one coming in on a string but got impatient and moved towards the bird because it was talking and got busted and the gobbler flew off. Only roost gobbling but they are killable.

Hookinembig

My day went out yesterday 04/19 and hunted from sunrise till noon and didn't hear a peep. The birds are there they are just quiet. If you don't catch them gobbling on the roost and close the distance its tough hunting.

chow hound

Most frustrating season I have ever had.  Hunted every day so far.  Have yet to hear a gobble after 7:30 and most days there are no more than 1 or 2 gobbles after they hit the ground, if that.  I was thinking they just weren't cranked up yet but that is getting harder to believe with every passing day.  I have only heard 2 shots so far.  Central VA.  The kill numbers have to be way down.

Hookinembig

I would have to agree. I will be out tomorrow morning and I will give you guys a update. Hopefully things will be wide open and the birds will be sounding off after roost!

redmag

Same here for me as I began hunting in VA on the 9th and on the 18th in WV and I still have not heard a bird.  This morning while hunting in Jefferson Co., WV my brother saw a gobbler walk through the woods beyond range.  He said he called to him and he acted like he was deaf.  Couple local guys (Hardy Co., WV) say they have heard birds gobble 2-3 times on the roost and that is it.  Going again tomorrow, might be the day.

Hookinembig

My brother and I headed out to the turkey woods this morning. I heard one bird gobble three times on the roost and it sounded like he was a couple of counties away. I made a move towards him but never got a response. My brother heard nothing all morning. Hopefully they will pick it up on Saturday.

redmag

Hunted here at home yesterday and today (Hardy CO, WV) and still no gobbling.  Did call a hen in yesterday.  Out early today, things to do.

spursRus

Its been tough for sure, I hunt in Prince William and Loudoun counties and places I use to heard 8-9 different birds a day i'm now lucky to hear a couple gobbles. Did get one fired up this morning, gobbled 40 yards away for about 25 minutes straight. Was too thick to see him. Called him back in and got him killed but he was the only bird I heard all morning

Va limbhanger

Today I was shaking my head for sure. Last weekend I hunted some public land and as the sun was coming up I listened to 10 to 12 Toms for close to 1\2 hr.I went to the same place and only heard two gobbles off in the distance. One was where a hunter i met (Alan) got busted by a Hen off the roost. As she flew away the only other bird roosted there (Tom) gobbled once and flew down from his roost. He only got a couple steps before he was greeted by some #4's.
It was a little breezy and cloudy this morning. I'm sure most of those gobblers I heard last week were still there this morning, but I'm not sure why they were not sounding off?
Remington 870 Super Magnum/FF3/Kick's GT .665

Benelli SBEII/FF3/Rhino .665

357MAGNOLE

I heard good gobbling off the roost today. 3 different birds, all 3 gobbled on the ground. Couldn't close the deal tho.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Hookinembig

I ended my streak of hearing at least one gobble each time I have been out this season. I did not hear a peep this morning. My brother said he might have heard a faint gobble off in the distance but my dad and myself heard nothing. Tough season for sure after opening day.

Kwgoke

I went this morning and heard one gobbling his head off first thing this morning. Worked my way to about 75 yards or so and then he shut up. Not sure if a hen got to him or if he heard me, he couldn't have seen me with how thick the woods were. Heard a shot at about 7:20, so I guess one of the other guys hunting there killed one. Sadly I couldn't stay any longer.