turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Virginia 2016

Started by 357MAGNOLE, February 02, 2016, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

I went all over a 4K acre public land. Nothing all morning from about 5:45am to 8 am
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

forcercon1

No gobbling in my area that I have heard. I did see two strutters in a field.

Hookinembig

I talked to friend a church this morning and said he has heard them cranking up. He does a ton of large farm equipment moving so he probably sees more land than most. Hopefully I can get out to our tracts this week and see if anything is sounding off.

trkehunr93

Heard one Sat. AM in SW VA, gobbled once at 6:27, heard him again around 7AM once he was on the ground.  Gobbled 3 times then.  Been out 4 mornings so far and he is the only one I've heard where I hunt. 

vagrousehunter

Heard two birds on Sunday in the Northwest . One bird gobbled two times on the roost and one gobbled about 6-7 times on roost.  Trail cams are showing a lot of jakes this year.

vagrousehunter

BTW a bit off-topic but I'd be interested if anyone hears any grouse drumming.  I'm not asking in order to run to some area to hunt, I just want to know if any are heard.  It seems to me that grouse in the NW part of the state are pretty much non-existent and may never recover and I'm wondering what others are hearing.

chow hound

Out in Cumberland this morning.  Heard 1 gobble a couple times on the roost.  Lasted no more than 5 mins.

forcercon1

A friend and I visited a new property this morning that had not been hunted in the past 3-4 years. We heard 9 different birds gobble. The first bird gobbled around 6:55 and when we left at 10 two birds had fired back up.

357MAGNOLE

That's awesome. I got out this afternoon in a ice rain storm and walked for about 3 hours in a location where I seen birds lots last year. Not even a track, feather or dropping. Couldn't believe it, could be a bad year for me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Hookinembig

We were on our way to one of our land tracts in Cumberland yesterday morning to do some scouting and saw some turkeys in a open field so we stopped and watched them for a little bit. Drove a little further down the road and we see a monster gobbler strutting in the field. We stop and watch him for a bit then all the sudden he goes into the breeding position. He does his thing then next thing we know the hen pops up. First time I've ever seen that in the wild. Poults in process here in Central, VA!

My dad did call a couple of times but he only had one thing on his mind!

Chow hound where do you hunt in Cumberland?

beakbuster10

Went to one of my farms Saturday morning. Heard one bird that was really fired up in the tree. Was still hobbling at 8 when I left. Went to another farm and heard two more birds up there.

Also watched 3 long beards fight and gobble at each other a few evenings ago just across the ditch on the side of the road. One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed turkeys do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwcb12

Things have slowed down my way compared to last week.  Still gobbling pretty good on the limb but not much going on after they hit the ground.  We'll see what happens later on in the week when things warm up some.  Still seeing groups of gobblers together in the fields with hens. I guess they'll start to split up sometime soon.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: kwcb12 on March 20, 2016, 07:57:12 PM
Things have slowed down my way compared to last week.  Still gobbling pretty good on the limb but not much going on after they hit the ground.  We'll see what happens later on in the week when things warm up some.  Still seeing groups of gobblers together in the fields with hens. I guess they'll start to split up sometime soon.

Probably from the weather. That cold front seems to have slowed them down. I have not heard a dang thing. Getting depressed.

Robert Bailey

Seen these Gobblers and hens in Suffolk,VA..Mid morning in the light rain..There was another group of 2 Gobblers and 6 hens to the left in this field..but to far away to shoot any pictures.....

357MAGNOLE

Finally! Seen a few stutters and about 15 hens in a field off 301 in King George. About time