OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

West Virginia

Started by firedup, March 13, 2016, 11:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdk2357

Killed one off roost on Monday,  birds seemed to be heavily flocked up still through the morning, don't seem to move much.  Looking forward to later in the season when hens go to nest mid morning and leave the gobblers lonley.

TKE921

Horrible first week for me.  I only worked one bird all week and I heard the hen go running to him.  I saw one snow white hen @ about 100 yards.  She did not respond to calling at all.  Last year my father-in-law and I called in 12 birds, of all ages and sexes, in the first week off the same 3 farms we were hunting this year.

Back in Greenbrier now...It has to get better...right?

eddie234

I've only heard two bids all week, usually my area here in Marshall co. Has a ton. I was able to call one in around 11 this morning but couldn't get him any closer than 50 yards. I hope it gets better!!!

wvhunter74

Killed one Monday morning @7:30, he had 8 hens with him. I've been out 4x and only heard birds that only gobbled few times, then silent rest of the day. I'm seeing plenty of sign but they just don't want to play.

longbeard11

Had an incredible first week mostly in kanawha county. Filled my first tag Monday morning at 7:15, heard 8 that day all gobbling like crazy.

Went back there wednesday and called another longbeard up, just out of range with hens, heard 4 that day gobbling good.

Took a boy out thursday and wound up having an amazing hunt. Called in a huge Tom with his 4 hens in tow. And my buddy squeezed off on him to seal the deal with his first bird ever. Heard 2 gobbling good that day, the bird we killed gobbled no less than 300 times.

Went to my very best farm saturday, in calhoun county. Heard 7 different birds there hammering, this is a decent day there, but nothing like its capable of. Ended up calling in a giant bird around 9:00 for my buddy. Came in in awkward place and put my buddy in a bind and he ended up missing. But that happens.

Then finished the week this morning in roane county before church. Set up on a big gobbler on the roost, bout 70 yards from us on fire gobbling. Then hen started talking and they flew down, he got with her and shut up. Ended up hearing 8 gobbling hard, but gobbling slowed way down once on the ground.

Overal an awesome week for me, God is so good! I'm beyond blessed! I truly believe the best is yet to come

vabeardhunter

Congrats on a awesome week of hunting. I would certainly take just one of those hunts at this point. Slow going in central VA

redmag

Heard 2 birds this morning, first this season.  One gobbled 3 times and the other 1 time but they   Later on maybe I can fool with them because there is a lot of good season left.were in a place I couldn't go to.

redmag

Rained overnight and early this morning.  I saw 2 single hens while creeping about.  Driving out of the property I had to cross a 500k power line and there he was with several hens, maybe 4.  I have been hearing nothing here in WV.  Crazy to see him and the hens together now, I thought they were through playing.  ???????

redmag

All in all it has been a crappy season with very few birds ever gobbling.  Went today in Berkeley Co. on a farm when just before good light a hen flew into the field.  I heard 2 birds gobble twice in the distance.  Maybe about 7:00 a jake flew into the field and milled about for 20 minutes or so before 3 jakes came through the fence and joined him.  They fed about and disappeared out the other side of the field.  Next year...... 

longbeard11

I think I would be finding some new farms if I only heard a couple birds all season. Heard birds every day out this year, gobbling good. Not as heavy gobbling for me this year as in years past but can't complain at all taking into account the weather for most of the spring.

redmag

Longboard,  Don't hunt any farms here in Hardy Co. unless it is along back of the property on NF lands.  All the good places are posted and of course the same old story when you ask permission, "my brother in law hunts here some".  I intend to hunt a lot more in Berkeley Co next year as the birds are far more abundant there.  Most people I have talked to around our area didn't hear much gobbling either.  Glad your season was productive.