OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turning Burls Question

Started by TripleGobbleCalls, February 02, 2016, 09:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleGobbleCalls

For everyone that has turned a piece of burl before, do you stabilize every piece, or just the pieces that are spunky? I was reading up on stabilizing, and I read that the tighter the grain, the less effect stabilizing would have on it. Is this true?

M,Yingling

depends on the wood and if its soft or light in weight ,, burl has a tendency to crack around the eyes in burl so some times it helps to stabilize  it don't fill cracks but helps ,, cherry burl  is normally good with out but all depends some times ca will take care of the smaller cracks

and yes some woods will suck up lots of resin and others don't barely take any at all and at $1oo a gallon some blanks can get expensive ,,, on the harder grain woods I like rough turn a pot inside out that way the resin has a better chance of penetration   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TripleGobbleCalls

Quote from: M,Yingling on February 02, 2016, 12:44:33 PM
depends on the wood and if its soft or light in weight ,, burl has a tendency to crack around the eyes in burl so some times it helps to stabilize  it don't fill cracks but helps ,, cherry burl  is normally good with out but all depends some times ca will take care of the smaller cracks

and yes some woods will suck up lots of resin and others don't barely take any at all and at $1oo a gallon some blanks can get expensive ,,, on the harder grain woods I like rough turn a pot inside out that way the resin has a better chance of penetration   

Thank you!! Very helpful tips!!