OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about Pot calls in your vest.

Started by 357MAGNOLE, January 30, 2016, 08:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Bowguy on January 31, 2016, 12:39:30 AM
I see you already ordered the call but I personally would always carry an aluminum. A good aluminum is no maintenance as long as you keep it clean. They play extremely easily and are definitely another sound in your vest. Good aluminum calls can also be toned down easily. They're often the only call I use, even when the bird is roosted since you can tone em down so easily.
Prob one of the easiest to run, maintain and run loud or soft with zero problems is Schafers Atomic 13. That's not saying many others aren't great, just that his surface is suitable for all and that call is brutal on birds

I have already looked into it. I did not want to throw too much into another pot call as I am also looking to pick up a few more strikers and possibly a trumpet to try something different.  I am pretty much geared up for the spring, but also exhausting my turkey funds quickly.  I will add an aluminum call to my arsenal before the spring is up, or by summer time. But I am done for now on purchasing pot calls. I am still interested in hearing others inputs on what they carry in their vest as far as variety of pot calls, and when they like to use which types.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Bowguy

No prob good luck bud, not a trumpet but another type suction yelper is a cane call n they're half the price if money is tight. Mark Sharpe makes a great one. If you want a dif sound n money is real tight you can get a scratch box or two. Very addicting calls but maybe $20 bucks or a little more if you want the fancier versions. Call SS custom calls for those.

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 30, 2016, 10:17:52 PM
I only carry 2 pot calls in my pack, first and foremost is my Cody World Class Slate call. I have ended more turkeys with that call over the last 20 years than anything else and it's still doing the job! My other call is a MAD Heavy Metal glass call that I picked up for $10 and that call is the other end of the spectrum and when called on it will steal a show! I do carry a few strikers along but run them on both pots. I don't pick pretty I pick performance.

MK M GOBL

'' I don't pick pretty I pick performance '' :icon_thumright:. well said
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

mote1977

Quote from: Bowguy on January 31, 2016, 12:39:30 AM
I see you already ordered the call but I personally would always carry an aluminum. A good aluminum is no maintenance as long as you keep it clean. They play extremely easily and are definitely another sound in your vest. Good aluminum calls can also be toned down easily. They're often the only call I use, even when the bird is roosted since you can tone em down so easily.
Prob one of the easiest to run, maintain and run loud or soft with zero problems is Schafers Atomic 13. That's not saying many others aren't great, just that his surface is suitable for all and that call is brutal on birds
Took the words right out of my mouth. If I could only leave the house with one call it would be my Atomic 13.

jwright8

A slate and a glass. And several strikers.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Happy

I carry a slate, glass, crystal, aluminum and copper. Take about 4 strikers and 8 or 9 diaphram calls. I figure that if I can't get one to respond with any of those combos that I least I won't get bored. At heart I really like my crystal and glass calls as far as pot calls go.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

I agree. Out of my aluminum calls ,  that's the only one that doesn't leave my vest. Also jimmys ceramic flat out gets it done. I have a lonzo black acrylic aluminum on the way. If it's anything like I have heard from others and sound files , it may take the 13's place. Man I love pot calls.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

greentag

i love the atomic13 too,so much so i now have two the old 9 hole style and the newer one with the middle hole plugged.the old one is awesome my newer one to me doesnt sound as good as it.after the original poster gets his newest call in i think he may get addicted to them like the rest of us,when that happens i would suggest the atomic13 for sure,i just think that for someone new to them and learning a good slate call is hard to beat.

M,Yingling

I am still interested in hearing others inputs on what they carry in their vest as far as variety of pot calls, and when they like to use which types.
[/quote]

me I like carry 3 strikers fiber rod black locust dymond wood ,,,, as for pot man I carry them all lol   slate , crystal, glass ,aluminum , copper ,,titanium, ceramic ,,, and brass that's new one but have high hopes for it this season ,,,, out all them last year the birds seemed to like the copper titanium and crystal the most ,,, between them pots and good box call and 6 shells,,, box snuff  iam good to go 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

okiegobblers

I have 3 pots I usually carry. A Kimmey Hanks slate, David Halloran Crystal Mistress and a Mike Yingling Copper.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

slwayne

Crystal Mistress is always in my vest.  I usually will also carry a slate if rain/excess humidity isn't an issue.  I really like a slate for that real soft tree talk in the morning.  As much as I love my Crystal Mistress I have found that a slate just works better for me early in the morning.  If rain/excess humidity might be an issue I'll replace the slate with an aluminum call in a corian pot.  That thing will run under running water if need be.  Always have 4 - 6 different strikers depending upon the mix of surfaces I have with me on a particular day.  If it's gonna be wet then one of the strikers will be a carbon tip.

JLH

For me...my go to call is a 3.25" Sinclair brass in a cocobolo pot..that call will make any sound I need, as loud or as soft as I need, and depending on the striker, it will get raspy as heck, or clean and clear....truly an amazing instrument!
Along with that I carry a Sinclair 3" copper in a macasser ebony pot and a 3.25" titanium in a cocobolo pot .... along with a good mix of strikers, wich includes yellowheart, katalox, cocobolo, ebony, dymondwood and a few others..

Although, this year it may change.....I have a 3" Gabon ebony brass on the way, and one other call that is going to be something really, really special!

The Woodsman

cutt down

I have more pot calls than I could play in a season if I played a different every day. Around here I have the most luck with a Paul Platz slate & a Mike Yingling copper. Those 2 stay in my vest. Throw in a handful of strikers & I can hit different tones with each call. I've gotten pretty partial to Larry Gresser strikers as well as Bill Lyman's. Got a new Brad Roberts glass call I'm going to run this season too! I try to carry a slate, glass, and a copper!

sixbird

I'm thinking I should go to a turkeys anonymous and confess my sins. I carry slate, aluminum, copper, crystal and a number of strikers that make each one sound good (to my ear). Also carry boxes and diaphrams. A gobble tube (shaker) and a dried turkey wing (for scratching and flapping). I can't tell you how many calls I have at home (It's embarrassing).
That said, a Lonzo's aluminum in a osage pot is one I wouldn't leave home without. It sounds great with a birch/oak (I think) flare tip Woodhaven striker. I'd guess that there are other hard strikers that would do as well.
My advice would be what you have, plus a quality aluminum. Sometimes they just want that tone.
I guess the best advice would be to concentrate on getting good with what you have. Listen to a lot of real turkeys calling (plenty of that on YouTube). Mimic them. No call is magic and I've seen them come to some pretty pathetic calling but to be consistent you should be proficient more than anything. Get something that sounds good and practice against real turkey sounds.
It's good to have different calls since some days they just respond to different sounds. You'll likely find that one particular call, in your hands will bring in the majority of birds that come. That may change year to year but generally there's one, that one that there's something about, that they like...
Good luck and most of all, have fun!