OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Bulls!  (Read 5094 times)

Offline OldSchool

• The Boss Gobbler
Bulls!
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:48:44 AM »
I've had more than one dealing with bulls while turkey hunting, but one in particular sticks in my mind.

I had a new farm to hunt this particular year. Didn't scout it, but I could get a pretty good idea of the layout of the place from the farmyard.  I got there plenty early my first morning to hunt it, parked my truck, crawled under the fence and made my way through a bunch of sleeping cows to the hardwoods. I heard a few gobbles, but couldn't do anything with the birds.

When noon came, I headed back across the pasture to my truck. As I got about mid way across the field, I could hear one of the cows coming up behind me. Cows are nosy, and we get along pretty well, so I didn't pay any attention attention to her. The next thing I know, something hit me from behind and I had to take a few quick steps to stay on my feet. I turned around and the cow I expected to see turned out to be one of the biggest, meanest looking bulls I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Here I am, a good two hundred yards from the fence, staring down the business end of a bug eyed, slobbering, T'd off bull at about three yards.

I knew better than to run, and the last thing I wanted to do was to have to shoot him, so I started talking to him and slowly started walking away. He stood his ground for a minute, then started following me again while calling me all kinds of names in bull.

I could hear him coming up behind me, getting closer all the time. I crossed a wet, muddy spot in the pasture and when he got in the mud, he sunk up to his knees. That bought me some time, and as I got closer to the fence I ran like a little girl and cleared it in one leap.

I stopped and told the farmer about it and his face turned white. He said he never thought to tell me about the bull and that he was the meanest SOB he'd ever seen. "He'd just as soon kill 'ya as look at 'ya". He actually told me I should have shot him, and it was a wonder that he didn't kill me right there.

It wasn't till the drive home that I thought about walking through the pasture that morning and what could have happened there in the dark. True story.

Bob

Call 'em close, It's the most fun you'll ever have doing the right thing.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Bulls!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
Just saw this story! Man, that's some funny stuff! Love the part about running like a little girl...HAH! I had a similar experience with a cow and young calf. I cleared the fence pretty handily myself! And, yes, I probably ran like a little girl too...I was too scared to notice or care... :newmascot:

Offline nsselle

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »
That's no joke man, glad you made it out of there without serious injury.  I take the long way around the pastures.

Offline beakbuster10

• The Boss Gobbler
Bulls!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
I've had two bad run ins with bulls. The first I knew was a bad bull, but I let the urge of killing a cotton tail with beagles behind him cloud my judgement. The bull was a few hundred yards across the pasture so I figured I was alright. Listened to the chase that was on the fence line of the pasture for a few minutes, I was waiting any second to pop bugs when suddenly the boy hunting with me, that owns the farm, cut down 3 times. I almost messed my drawers. The bull had began to charge me, and I was so wrapped up in the chase that I never heard him coming. He started shooting the bull at about 50 yards. Bob wasn't too found of the 6s so I didn't get to feel his wrath that day.

Flash forward to last year, spring gobbler season. I set my ground blind up in a pasture a few gobblers had been frequenting. I'd never had any issues with this bull. About 830, a giant head pokes through the back of my groundblind and begins snorting. In one motion, I grab my bow and out through the front window I go. I ran to a large cedar about 30 yards from my blind. I watched the bull trash my blind and kick around my decoys until he lost interest, all the while I'm holding onto this tree like a 200 lb gray squirrel. After the bull did his thing, I grabbed all my gear and high tailed it to the truck. A pissed off bull is nothing to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Disney

• Poor old boy couldn't resist a Timber Tune cluck.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:56:30 PM »
Some of them nd bulls are smart too. I had one that would wait until I was 100 yards into the pasture surrounded by an electric fence. He figured that he'd get me if I had to run far. That dang bull charged me at full speed. I high tailed it out of there and dove over the electric fence, just like a rodeo clown would do. He did this twice to me and i gave up on the idea of being in his territory.I avoid those beasts at all cost. True story too.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:28:37 AM »
Bulls can be nasty. When I was a kid, my uncle and a neighbor of his wanted to swap bulls as to prevent in breeding in their herds. My uncle's bull was behaved and the shirt mile journey to his neighbors pasture was super easy. Not the same for the other bull. They managed to get a of chain around it's neck and hook it to the ball of my uncle's f150. The neighbor followed behind his bull as my uncle gently led it to his pasture. My cousin and I sat in the bed of his truck up towards the cab while we could feel that bull jerk the truck and sometimes even try pushing it (destroyed my uncle's already beat up farm trucks? bumper) the whole way. Looking back and knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have been in the bed of that truck. That bull was huge and powerful and could have easily jumped into the bed of that truck and killed us both. I was so happy when both my uncle and his neighbor decided to kill him for the meat when his chore was completed. Looking back I think they just didn't want to mess with that sob again.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk