OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The Legendary Fall  (Read 2402 times)

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
The Legendary Fall
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:01 AM »
It was about 6 years now when this happened and to this day it's the most pain I had while turkey hunting. My buddy and I were doing some running and gunning in the woods in PA when we struck up a gobbling fool. He wasn't messing around and was covering ground quickly coming to our calling. In a hurry we found the best cover possible and got ready. I was sitting up against a huge white oak and my buddy was about 20 yards to my left and about 5 yards behind me and was going to be the caller while I shot the bird. There was a large log in front of me so when I sat down, I placed my right leg and foot under my butt to raise my field of vision.

That dang bird stopped just short of 10 yards from that log and little did I know it was a small old Creek bottom. This depressed area that he stood in didn't allow me to see his head. He stood there for about 15mins just gobbling like crazy until he decided to move forward to peer over the log and find his prize hen. When he did, his big red head offered the perfect shot and I dropped him.

This is when it gets interesting/painful. Unknown to me my leg had fallen asleep and when I tried to jump up to retrieve my prize, I fell flat on my face. Normally it would just be a normal fall but the side of my face slammed off a rock. My buddy not knowing how much pain I was in, began to laugh hysterically at my fall. I remember looking up and seeing the gobbler flopping and my buddy laughing but then it gets fuzzy. It really about knocked me out. My friend came over and helped me up and assisted me back to the truck. My wife thought that I had gotten in a fight when she seen the bruise on my cheek bone and my black eye. Her being a nurse, kept a good eye on me as she quickly diagnosed me with a minor concussion. Lesson learned, I do everything in my power not to sit on my legs and no longer just jump up to get my bird. Just let him flop.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:30:18 AM by tomstopper »