OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cabela's Instinct Call

Started by Footballer, January 29, 2016, 02:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

A buddy of mine is a pro staff member for Cabela's Spring Thunder
I'll try and get his take on it.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

letinmfly

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on January 29, 2016, 04:54:00 PM
A buddy of mine is a pro staff member for Cabela's Spring Thunder
I'll try and get his take on it.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps

See if you can get a soundfile.  :icon_thumright:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

mgm1955

Seems like a lot of money for a production pot. Would be interested in hearing a soundfile.

TauntoHawk

Even if it sounded amazing I'd rather give $150 to a good ol turkey hunting call maker than any company

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MK M GOBL

Will have one in my hands Monday :), I have a show over the weekend and will be testing it out after.
and one of these too "WoodHaven Carbon Crystal Pot Turkey Call" retails at $199.99

MK M GOBL

Footballer

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 29, 2016, 07:23:57 PM
Even if it sounded amazing I'd rather give $150 to a good ol turkey hunting call maker than any company

My thoughts exactly.

tomstopper

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 29, 2016, 07:23:57 PM

Yep. No matter how good it sounds, I will always give my money to one of the little men for a call that is just as great or even just a little less great. I have a ton of guys sat work who have stopped buying production pots and have since started to buy from local call makers and some on this site.

ncturkey

I would not pay that much for a production pot. I do ot by production calls for my self any more. But I did play some of the pot calls on display at Cableas store. It was not the Instinct Call. I think ot was a $40 call. For a production call it sounded better than I thought it would.

MK M GOBL

So here is my thoughts... So let's say a "Custom" call maker has been around for a while, gains some notoriety and has quite a following for the calls he makes. Calls start making it and "Champions" are using these calls, then there's this guy who buys one of these custom calls he has great success with the call. Now a buyer for a big chain is talking to this guy as he is known pretty well for turkey hunting and is asked his opinion on maybe a new call line. Well it goes through the "process" and this now once Custom call maker is also making calls for a bigger market.
So would you no longer buy this custom call makers calls based solely on his calls now being made for the big box stores? Let's just say I know a scenario like this...

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 03, 2016, 08:31:36 PM
So here is my thoughts... So let's say a "Custom" call maker has been around for a while, gains some notoriety and has quite a following for the calls he makes. Calls start making it and "Champions" are using these calls, then there's this guy who buys one of these custom calls he has great success with the call. Now a buyer for a big chain is talking to this guy as he is known pretty well for turkey hunting and is asked his opinion on maybe a new call line. Well it goes through the "process" and this now once Custom call maker is also making calls for a bigger market.
So would you no longer buy this custom call makers calls based solo on his calls now being made for the big box stores? Let's just say I know a scenario like this...

MK M GOBL
No way a custom call maker could keep up with the demand of being a branded call.    The name may stay the same but the process is going to go through a change.    "The Majic Bullet Call" that used to be made, tuned and inspected by "Fred" the original custom maker before it left his shop will probably now be made by
the hundreds.   The new custom maker who's name you probably couldn't pronounce will probably make the new "Majic Bullet Call" call by pushing some robots buttons who will in turn spit them out and wrap them without the call ever touching human hands, let alone a turkey hunter like Fred.   There are examples of this already.  And one of them is probably one you know about.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

davisd9

How much was said "callmakers" call before Cabelas brought him in? Shouldn't the price go down now that it can be produced in a mass production?

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MK M GOBL

Quote from: guesswho on February 04, 2016, 03:25:32 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 03, 2016, 08:31:36 PM
So would you no longer buy this custom call makers calls based solo on his calls now being made for the big box stores? Let's just say I know a scenario like this...

MK M GOBL
No way a custom call maker could keep up with the demand of being a branded call.    The name may stay the same but the process is going to go through a change.    "The Majic Bullet Call" that used to be made, tuned and inspected by "Fred" the original custom maker before it left his shop will probably now be made by
the hundreds.   The new custom maker who's name you probably couldn't pronounce will probably make the new "Majic Bullet Call" call by pushing some robots buttons who will in turn spit them out and wrap them without the call ever touching human hands, let alone a turkey hunter like Fred.   There are examples of this already.  And one of them is probably one you know about.

My response was not based on the "Cabela's" call... Just a scenario

MK M GOBL

guesswho

I understand. 

If the same process from beginning to end was followed the same way the original maker did, then I'd buy from the big name if the original was no longer making it.  Provided the sound is still there.  If it's all over the place I'm out, and am on the lookout for a replacement.   

One advantage to a lot of your custom makers is the fact that they will make a call right years after the original sell, even if the problem occurred due to neglect on the owners part. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

Quote from: guesswho on February 04, 2016, 04:33:14 PM
I understand. 

If the same process from beginning to end was followed the same way the original maker did, then I'd buy from the big name if the original was no longer making it.  Provided the sound is still there.  If it's all over the place I'm out, and am on the lookout for a replacement.   

One advantage to a lot of your custom makers is the fact that they will make a call right years after the original sell, even if the problem occurred due to neglect on the owners part.

Would agree 100% if the call has the "right stuff" I don't care who made it, I always say (I don't pick pretty I pick performance). Was just posing the question to see what people thought. I have a few mass produced calls some/most that ended up in the "giveaway" tote, one I still use and have very good results with and my favorite call I carry all the time is a custom call made by "Cody" Bill Zearing (Cody world Class Slate). We sell a lot of calls in the store and I have "played" with some of those $75 and up calls, some I would say are worth it and others I personally don't care for their "sound" and would spend $40 bucks on other choices, as far as customers go some have seen it work on some ____ ____ outdoors's show and have based their opinion solely off of that (which is another story) . There is a lot to be said for some of the custom call makers out there as they truly are crafted at what they do!

MK MGOBL